Xine or mplayer?

Guest anon

I always use and install both.

Xine has full dvd menu support, which is nice for extra's, easter eggs and the like.

I use xine for dvd's and usually mplayer for divx/xvid etc..

Mplayer does better in some cases, but sometimes xvid's get weird yellowish flares (yes I have all plf stuff/codecs installed) in which cases I revert to xine.

I use mplayer more since my remote control setup is nicer to use (xine with the dvd menu support needs more buttons and it got a bit more complicated), and it is more robust for bad quality movies, 'broken' downloads or so.

If I could only pick one due to harddisk constraints I'd buy a larger disk (really, if you have no space for the player, where do you put the video files??) or scrap some other program, xine and mplayer are complementary....

BTW totem/xine with the goom visual plugin for audio playback just rocks... :P

gotta go with aRTee....

ive always used both, Xine for the DVD menu support and Mplayer becuase its rock solid....

on the XBOX I use mplayer without GUI... for divX etc. but its too much effort for DVD's....

TOTEM I know uses the Xine backend but somehow never seems to keep up as well, especially dragigng the window around etc.

xine...needs to be treated gently or it locks up/crashes...has good quality video

mplayer...there is a way to get it to play even the new windows media player files...

totem...all around good stuff...never crashes...dvd support not so good...

...if you have time to read all our posts then you have time to install and uninstall all of the above

I, too, use both. Xine for DVD, mplayer for the rest. I still haven't figured out how to get multichannel sound with mplayer, which makes watching DVD on mplayer rather pointless considering the computer's hooked up to a full surround set. With Xine, no problem.

-Sascha.rb