disabling supermount

lucascr

Dear all,

I would like to disable supermount in MDK 10.0 OE since I prefer to mount CD-ROM, FLOPPY, USB pen drive, etc. The following steps, taken from a message in this forum, worked on MDK 10 CE.

The steps are:

1)

> supermount -i disable

2)

edit the file /etc/fstab which now is the following:

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hde8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hde5 /mnt/windows vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,gid=501,uid=501,codepage

=850 0 0

/dev/hde1 /mnt/windowsxp ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hde7 swap swap defaults 0 0

# DVD

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro

,exec 0 0

# CD-RW

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,noauto,ro,unhide,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0

# FLOPPY

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,noauto,rw,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0

# USB 2.0 pen drive

/dev/sda1 /mnt/jetflash auto user,noauto,rw,noexec,dev,suid,iocharset=iso8859-1,

umask=0 0 0

3) restart the system.

Now CD, DVD and floppy works as expected. Unfortunately USB pen drive does not. As I plug-in the pen the device is mounted on /mnt/memory_card with the same device I have defined in /etc/fstab for /mnt/jetflash.

How can avoid this device to be automatically mounted?

By the way, it is possible to change device icons and names which appear on the KDE desktop?

Thanks,

Luca

hotplug is already in the kernel and the service is now enabled. Reboot but the behavior does not change :angry:

Actually, I expected this because last night I checked on my laptop with MDK 10 CE, which works as I like, and the hotplug service is not enabled.

If I understood, once supermount is not in the fstab file, why is automounting the device? There is another program responsible for this? Have you any other hint? :wall:

Luca

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wirawan0

I am also looking for an answer for this thing. It is somewhat annoying since the supermount option, somehow, is SO SLOW. I once tried to copy a 74MB file from my SD card, it took me about 50 minutes! I tought that was a problem with kernel 2.6. It turns out that if I use the "Linux"-ish mount (using -t vfat instead of supermount), it ran very quickly. :)

If I'm correct... the perl script /usr/sbin/drakupdate_fstab is what's called when a device is attached or detached. When I find the answer, I'll post again.

Here it is: I conclude this from a look at /usr/sbin/drakupdate_fstab.

Try to add a line to file /etc/sysconfig/dynamic :

SUPERMOUNT=no

You may want to create this file yourself, since the file wasn't there in my computer.

This will get rid of the automatic mounting with supermount, I believe. But I'm not sure if it gets rid of the automatic mounting itself. Check if this works! It seemed to work with me for a limited testcase.

Wirawan

:help:

Edited by wirawan0

• 1 month later...
Guest beuselinck

(my first post, feel kinda excited)

I tried adding the line to the /etc/sysconfig dynamic file. This indeed prevented filesystems from automatically being mounted.

Then I installed the udev utility (which can be found on the mandrake 10.0 official installlation discs) which gives a unique name to every hard disk, memory stick ... according to certain criteria.

eq my file /etc/udev/udev.rules contains

# medionstick
BUS="scsi", SYSFS_vendor="256MB*", NAME="medionstick%n"
# iomega hard disk
BUS="scsi", SYSFS_vendor="IC35L120*", NAME="iomega%n"

(One can find the vendor information by looking at the /var/log/messages file once you plugged in the device)

When i plug in my iomega 120GB hard disk a symbolic link in the /udev folder is created (/udev/iomega1) which points to the correct /dev file. This way I get a unique filename, whatever the sequence of plugging in my usb devices is.

Then I added this line to the /etc/fstab file

/udev/iomega1 /mnt/iomega vfat umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0

Now the command

mount /mnt/iomega

gets my filesystem mounted at the right place, always

But my problem is that some script still creates the folder /mnt/removable?. I'm not sure whether it is the script /usr/sbin/drakupdate_fstab or the script /etc/dynamic/scripts/part.script

I think it is the latter one because it contains some mkdir lines

Is there anyone which has the scripting capabilities to adjust this script according to my needs. I think it is a general problem and a lot of people want to do their mounting theirselves. Ok, for somebody new to linux it is great that external devices get mounted automatically, but it messes up my mounting points making it impossible to create eg symbolic links to files on my external hard disk.

Any help is highly appreciated

bart