Need Help With Running Installed Programs

Jet2k5

I want to download a p2p program and after I find one and download it and save it to a folder what do I do next as far as running it and what codes do I need. And if you have any advice as to what progam I should get or any possible usable tutorials please let me know. Thanks.

-Alec

you install them with urpmi

stop trying to avoid it, it will save you so much time and effort and make your experience so much better. trust me.

Dont forget to type in "su" then your root password before adding the urpmi sources. It will work then.

I have logged in "root" and then typed all the necasary files like " cd Documents" and all that then when I got to type the name of the file it says directory does not exist. Am I typing the wrong thing? And I did use the urpmi. Since I am a newbie could you please walk me through this process I am still trying to learn. Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

- Alec

Ok!!

Do exactly as I say!

Type

su

It will ask for a password. Give it your root password.

Then run these commands

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://mandrakeusers.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/mandrake/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

That could take a while, just wait. That will configure urpmi for you.

Once that is complete, you will be able to install software with urpmi

urpmi gtk-gnutella

This will install gtk-gnutella, a P2P program.

Replace gtk-gnutella with any program you want to install.

Good luck

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

Thank you sooo much Iphitus for the help I succesfully got everything loaded just now my only question is how do I replace Gnutella with another program? Would I just save over it in the file that it is located in? This should be my last question then I think I can handle Linux. Thanks dude.

-Alec

Thank you sooo much Iphitus for the help I succesfully got everything loaded just now my only question is how do I replace Gnutella with another program?  Would I just save over it in the file that it is located in?  This should be my last question then I think I can handle Linux.  Thanks dude.

-Alec

He means replace the NAME of the program (the word "gtk-gnutella") with another word. NOT replace the program itself.

E.g.

- if you want to install FireFox, type:

"urpmi firefox" (without the quotes)

- if you want to install Gthumb, type:

"urpmi Gthumb" (without the quotes)

So:

urpmi <name of program>

Edited by Darkelve

Lol, I guess he didn't sign me off when he was typing at his house........anyways hes t_101 im Luis.........]

-Luis

P.S. SIGN OFF MY NAME, AL.............

Also when I was at his house I didn't install his urmpi the only thing that I think might of failed was maybe the contrib. I just got done updating mine, and now im gona install gaim and all that good stuff. I'll post back with any new issues.

Edited by Luis101

How do you uninstall a program on Linux? I want to uninstall gtk-gnutella and replace it with another p2p which I am in the process of doing right now. Scoopy told me firefox is one so I will take his word for it and thanks guys for everything.

P.S.

Luis I signed off of your name and am now on mine.

-Alec

I thought fire fox was a browsers like Konq and Mozilla? click on the K>SYSTEM>CONFIGURANTION>PACKING>REMOVE SOFTWARE

Thats what they told me to do to remove stuff. I just don't know how to use it.

-Luis

P.S al go on GAIM

K>SYSTEM>CONFIGURANTION>PACKING>REMOVE SOFTWARE

If you click on that menu entry, you will get a "window" asking for your root password. Enter it and then you should get a "window" much like in the picture I have attached. My example shows what you need to do IF you would want to remove a game called "supertux"

post-7-1088528061.jpg