2.4 or 2.6 Kernel?

Guest Gate455

Guest Gate455

Hi, I'm fairly new to linux, and when installing Mandrake 10.0, I have the option of using the 2.4 or the 2.6 kernel. I've read that the 2.6 kernel has some bugs in it, and I'm wondering which one would be better to choose for a person who doesn't want to mess around with a bunch of system settings to get his computer to work. I know that all my hardware is compatible with the 2.4 kernel.

[moved from Installing Madrake by spinynorman]

If all your hardware is compatible with the 2.4 kernel you should have no problems with the 2.6 kernel. Some people report speed-ups with 2.6, though I can't say I've noticed a large difference.

2.4 is more stable, it's been around longer and has been more thoroughly bug-tested. but that's not to say that 2.6 isn't stable. really, for a regular user who knows everything will work with 2.4 I say use 2.4. but that's just my opinion :)

(btw - i run 2.6, because i'm some sort of need-to-have-the-latest-and-greatest freak :jester: )

If you feel like it, you may first try 2.6, and in case there are problems, go back to 2.4.

I personally prefer 2.6 because my TV card's driver only is in latest 2.6 kernel (though it can be added to a 2.4), and because 2.6 is a big improvement over 2.4 where filesystems and hotplug are concerned (usb hotplug, UDF read/write, NTFS read/write...).

Yves.

I noticed a speed increase from 2.4->2.6 ...

However there are two ways to look at this...

Much of the speed increase from 2.4->2.6 is mainstream patches being added into the kernel. Mandrake already had many of these so the difference might not be so great.

Secondly my guess is that 2.6 eats RAM more eagerly... and those wioth more RAM might expect more performance boost ?