CSS help

I tried a whole lot of things to get rid of tables, but I've always come back to them. Unfortunately they still seem to work best and you can easily add content into them with php includes.

My sites are hardly ever 100% compliant with W3, but I don't care; so long as they look good, are quick, work and are compatible with all browsers I don't give a rats ass as to how the code looks.

using css instead of tables allows the code to be lighter and alot easier control of positioning. using css over tables also allows for a much more forward compatable code to result. while table are useful (don't get the idea that i am anti-tables) it is alot more work to get them compliant in many browsers.

css cannot replace some of what tables can provide (such as the small chart on the page i provided) but using them to set up simple columns is just pointless when css does a better job of it and with less effort.

i thought tables were cool until it ried to do some stuff with forms and what not. it get so hard to deal with tables and it is even more frustrating when you toy with them for hours only to find that they render poorly isn foo browser.

yeah and zengarden has excellent examples of just how much you can do with simple templates and some decent graphical skills. the pages look great and render quickly. tables are great and serve useful purposes but when i can i use straight css layouts.

My sites are hardly ever 100% compliant with W3, but I don't care; so long as they look good, are quick, work and are compatible with all browsers I don't give a rats ass as to how the code looks.

you would probably care if you had to create a 508 compliant site. While the sites I am working on have decent 508 compliancy it still need to clean them up a bit.

why should i care about 508 compliancy? well if i want all people to access my site then i damn well want disabled people to be able to and i need 508 compliancy for that. clean code is one key to universal compliancy.

(i do share your point of view too though in that i do not press really hard to make things perfect for IE. since that often forces me to break something. IE allows too much shit code. it is really frustrating.)

clean code is easier to work with. imo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adriano

This is plugging my own work, but I did a design with a nontrivial layout using only Divs and CSS instead of tables. Actually, the design is better for not using tables, this allows it to flow instead of "going to the right" if the user's screen resolution is different than 1024x768.

The site's company is an architectural firm. I know I have posted on other forums about it, but I feel it's a good example on how to do it. And it works on IE and other browsers just fine.

It's City Centre Concepts. Enjoy.