10 CE works

Leo

I've been using 9.0 for the past year or so, and manage to f*ck it up whilst attempting to reinstall win98 (don't ask!) so I thought I would give 10 CE a go (since I had the disks and nothing to lose) anyway, it went flawlessly (with the exception of the conexant hcf modem which I have to pay for a driver for if I want it at full speed /rant off).

... unfortunately win 98 won't reinstall. :lol2:

[edited by spinynorman]

why don't you install mdk 10 oe? if you don't have net access, try with a live cd like knoppix to access the net (marvelous hardware support!) and download the isos from one of the mandrake mirrors. ; )

In order to reinstall windex:

Use the emergency boot found on cd1. Boot wth it and remove your boot loader. Do this by restoring the windows mbr.

Before you do this, take an area that you intend for windex and format it to fat32.

When you boot with windex, it will detect the empty partition and use it. After you are done, reboot with the emergency cd and install your bootloader.

Done.

In order to reinstall windex:

Use the emergency boot found on cd1. Boot wth it and remove your boot loader. Do this by restoring the windows mbr.

Before you do this, take an area that you intend for windex and format it to fat32.

When you boot with windex, it will detect the empty partition and use it. After you are done, reboot with the emergency cd and install your bootloader.

Done.

Ix: thanks for the tip, however I have already tried that. I replaced the bootloader and it still would not load so I reformatted the entire drive (since I knew Mdk would reinstall OK) but I still get the same error following installation.

The windows disk came with the pc and seems to be a Gateway tailored install that will not allow me to bugger about with any settings at all.

Whilst I am being hassled to get windows back on the pc, I am now sulking and figure that if it won't play ball and Linux will then so be it...

arctic: I would if I could however I only have dial up and so cannot get the iso images, I am at the mercy of Linux format coverdisks and what I can afford off the shelf :wall:

But hey. It works!

Edited by Leo

Ahhh. You have a "restore" disk, which is not an actual oem copy of the os. That's why it won't work. Gateway, Conmpaq, and others would put some data on the drive in a micro partition. The data unlocks the restore. No data, no restore!

Ah... I was wondering how the disk "knew" when it wasn't being installed on a non gateway pc.

#edited to remove silly question and bad spelling

Edited by Leo