What is what in linux?

Guest veryodd

Guest veryodd

I have been using windows since '96 and i know it very well, but i'm completely unfamiliar with linux.

What i wonder this time is if there's some sort of translation table between the most standard windows/linux programs? I mean..

What's the equivalent to "notepad"?

What's the equivalent to "calculator"?

What's the equivalent to "task manager"?

What's the equivalent to "sound recorder"?

..and so on.

And where do i find command prompt? There appears to be more than one and i don't know which is the real one.

Yesterady i tried to edit a HTML file (With "K"...something..editor), but couldn't save changes because i didn't have write access. I had absolutely no clue how to get full access to that thing, so how do i get write-permissions without giving everyone write-access to that file? Is there some sort of "right-click a file, select properties and change it" in this OS?

How do i open a file-share, and then how can i get full access to those files from a windows computer? I mean.. Whenever there's a thing i don't know how to do in linux, like playing a WAV-file, i can at least send that file over to windows and read/modify it from there.

If i'm in KDE, or that graphic style whatever it's called, how do i "exit to dos"?

I have so many questions and don't really know where to start, and as i don't know what is what, i'm not shure where to post questions like this. I hope this is the right page.

you can use use any terminal (command prompt) and for the most part you can use this wihtout the need to exit out of KDE of Gnome et al. If you are installing Nvidia drivers (and probally ATI also) you need to exit the Xwindows system, which is done (in a terminal) with the command init 3. That will then make your screen flash and look like its rebooting, then you'll be looking at a screen more like DOS. login as root and type the command init 5 or startx to get back into the Xwindows enviroment. Or cd to the location of what you are trying to do. Anyways, its harder than it seems, I've only been using Linux a year this month and somethings came easier than others. I hosed my system quite a few times, sometimes reinstalled other times worked through the problem. Just don't be afraid to ask or search for the answer. I'm pretty sure someone here can help, well maybe not me, but someone will.

If i'm in KDE, or that graphic style whatever it's called, how do i "exit to dos"?

If you click on the Konsole button on the KDE panel - that's the monitor icon with the shell in front - you'll get to the command line or console or terminal shell; and you can use Alt + Tab to cycle between windows. :)

In iorder to edit system files, yopu need root access. In a console, type "su" and enter the root password. Then you are the master! A file manager that makes sense to window and gui users is Midught Commander. Just type "mc" at the command line, and you'll be there.

coming from windows myself (or windoze as u should say it now), i found it quite difficult to grasp the very different concept of computing linux does. It is indeed much more powerful in the CLI (command line interface, i.e Konsole, i'm not quite so sure about the midnight commander, Konquorer seems spot on to me, although some people swear by the midnight commander. Linux does seem to be a spot on OS in comparison to Windows, many time I have thought to myself, of f**k this, this is too hard, but I like what I am learning, just bare with it for a few week to overcome the shock.

In the meantime have a look at some of these sites:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html

http://www.tldp.org/

Enjoy!