kde 3.1 rc5

arriagga

KDE 3.1 RC5 is looking REAL good. Got it loaded without mishap, and it picked up almost all of my settings without problems. The fonts are better better better. There are some customizations in the kde configuration gui that are great. It is faster than 3.05. Really, it is.

Only downer for me is that keremik Mandrake style does not make kicker translucent. I'm going to add some off site stuff to see how it acts.

Guest dahvaio

I just installed the KDE3.1RC5 and I have an odd error. When hit the logout button, it brings me to the KDE login prompt; however, on the bottom right-hand side of the screen an xconsole prompt shows up. It just says: Console log for localhost.oc.cox.net. When I log back in, the prompt is still there.

Anyone experience this? Thanks

------------------------------

I figured it out. I had to comment out the xconsole statement in /etc/X11/xdm/xsetup-0

Later,

David

Yes, the x console is showing up. If I wait until kde loads, but not finished loading, I can kill the window by closing it. But, it came back 2 boots later! There was a fix for this with the move to 3.0, but I don't remember what the fix was, nor if it is the same problem.

My add-in programs really messed up kde, so I think I'll try texstar's rpm's.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rhacuna

If it is not fixed yet....to get ride of the startup console in KDE3.1rc5:

--edit the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0

--search for a line like this:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify......

--comment that line (put a # at the begining of the line) like this:

#/usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole -geometry 480x139-0-0 -daem............

this work in my sistem Compaq Presario 1692, MDK9.0 and now KDE3.1rc5 textar version.

rhacuna.

Texstar's latest rpm's are fully functional on my box. Only bug is the x log in console popping up. Fonts are greatly improved. Best looking kde yet. I think even Mozilla's fonts look better!