Help with Mandrake

Jet2k5

Hey guys,

I have been using Mandrake Linux for about 2 days now, and I already ran into some problems, first problem was that when I was doing the 3rd cd installation the cd would not work, so then I had to hit ' cancel ' and then it some how Mandrake still happened to run. I have tried downloading the 3rd cd from ' linuxiso.org ' and when it gets to about 46% it says ' stalled '....

So I don't know if the 3rd cd is a must, or if it's not. Anyways right of the bat I people told me that GAIM and MOZILLA where already installed. Well they both weren't. I typed in ' gaim ' in the command line and it would not run, then I got caught up with this Urpmi thing that I totally have no clue what it is or what the heck I was doing with it. I guess I was starting to see why most people like confi windows. But I got it the hard way I can't return to windows, and thats probably for the better.

Right now I have the version 0.75 for GAIM. I also know that he newest version is 0.79. I downloaded the tar.gz file and I have had some one guide me thrue the process of decrompressing and stuff using the ' tar xvzf ' command I do everything fine until I get to the compling part. When I do the ./configure I get and erros message saying that it can't find the compiler in the $path. So If I can't compile it then I can't make it and install it.

Mozilla, when I knew that It was not in the system, I found out that I had Konqueror. I like it but people recommend that I get into Mozilla, it's much better but they all said that it should be already installed in the system but it's not. I downloaded the version from ' mozilla.org ' and I did every single step until I get to the Mozilla install menu thing. And it wants to save into a file that I believe is named '/usr/home/mozila' I don't know if thats the exact location but mozilla and usr and in there for good. Well it says that directory does not exist, so it asks me if I would like to create and I click yes and when I do I get an error message [error -6...] the number is 6 hundred something. What do I do to install mozilla I followed all the steps provided on their website. I only didn't know where to get the file that they talk about, the non installable file, if anyone knows about it please let me know the link.

Besides that if you guys can provide me with links to tutorials that work for people sites that are helpfull for people that that just transfered over from windows. I also would like to know if my system has Urpmi installed. And why It says that it can't find the complier when I try and install GAIM. Please give me all the information out there to help me, Linux really is a great program Im just having a real hard time to get used to it and learn how to use it. So please give me everything you know. One more thing I would like to start from square 1 so do i need the 3rd cd to install something Important? 1 reason I think I might be missing things since the 3rd cd never worked.

so please help me guys. I want to really knkow the ropes, I want from the basic stuff of changing the wallpaper to the more advance and using nothing but a konsole to run every program on your computer,

P.S. Another Issue that I have is the security of Linux. In windows I had a lot of Norton Antiviruses and Internet protections things, what are some programs that do the same for linux? Since the cd's that I have fro norton are in the .exe format thins so I can' run anything really. Also my sound is very low, even tho I put it to the max its not the same of when I was running Windows Media Player. Sorry if everything is out of place because I know it is, but Im just writing issues as I go, the only thing that I have been able to install succesfully is a plugin progam, for my Earthlink start page.

-Luis

:help::wall: :unsure:

To update your gaim,

Download this to your /home/user/ directory

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gaim/ga...86.rpm?download

Then "su" to root

Then

rpm -Uvh gaim-0.79-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm

That should update your gaim for you.

As for Mozilla, run the installer, run it as root,

You have urpmi installed I can guarantee that, just configure it the way I told you to in the FAQ. Mozilla is in urpmi, so that might be easier than the installer.

Setup urpmi as described in the FAQ, http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600

You will wonder what you did without it.

For your sound, put up PCM and Main.

As for security, in a default state Linux is very secure. And viruses? They practically dont exist. There has been a handfull, but you are protected.

And firewall? lets get the rest of the system working cool before we look at that, it can be troublesome. Besides -- i myself dont run with a firewall, so dont be worried you are going to be hacked.

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

Well for now I don't really know about urpmi I tried it and what it did was remove the 0.79 version to the 0.75. Also I can't find out a way to set up my GAIM window so that when I close it clicking the X I don't want to close the application I just want to just minimize it but not to the toolbar but to a kicker. Kind of I want it running in the back ground like AIM in windows when you hit the X it doesn't close the application it just puts the little yellow icon on the bottom right conner. Im sorry but I think im going to have to give up on Linux it just might not be for me.

-Luis

HEY nvm I got this done, I don't know what I did but now I did update my version of GAIM dam I wish I remebered what I did is there a way to like get back to m directory history files or something? lol I want to write this down, all I want to know is to know if urpmi is installed or not. How do I do that? Im guessing that if it worked with the whole gaim thing then it must be installed. I'm going to try the mozilla right now.

-Luis Plese contact me if you have any other valueble informatating,

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING GUYS, THIS SHOULD BE #1 MANDRAKE HELP FORUM

Edited by Luis101

Hello Again,

Well Im really happy that we got that GAIM issue out of the way, I thought that by updating something might look different on the buddy list but guess not it's still the same. So I did what you said and ran the stuff under root, and I actually installed it but know I don't know how to run it. They say to find the directory or something and type in ./mozilla which I didn't and it don't work. What options do I have here guys?

-Luis P.S where can I find the rpm mozilla? The one that they offer at their website is in tar. gz.

all I want to know is to know if urpmi is installed or not. How do I do that?

Try this in a terminal or command line...

[scoopy@localhost scoopy]$ rpm -qa | grep urpmi

if it is installed, it will return something like this...

urpmi-4.4.5-10mdk
gurpmi-4.4.5-10mdk

if not installed, will return back to prompt.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING GUYS, THIS SHOULD BE #1 MANDRAKE HELP FORUM

It is #1. :D

Stick around, you will learn. :thumbs:

To setup urpmi, go to the FAQ i have linked you many times. If you follow those instructions you will be able to run "urpmi mozilla" to install it.

save yourself the trouble and

SETUP URPMI!!

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600

And if you get errors, TELL US THE ERROR then we will be able to help you.

Good luck :)

iphitus

Well guys I re-installed Linux, so pretty much I want to start from square one, For installing urpmi I did everything that it said on the tutorial provide by Iphitus. Umm as of right now it seems to be still downloading something. I didn't get this before but to me it looks good after I copy and pasted the text from that black box to the command line all these things started to happen and now it's downloading something. Hopefully after it is done I will check to see if it is installed like scoopy said so. Also I happen to have a start home page, and it needs to install some flash player 7, I actually installed it before, and now it says that I don't have any directory name Mozilla, Konquror or Netscape. Before that didn't bother me I installed it just fine last time. Also man how long does it take to download that urmpi program thing, this thing didn't take this long last time, but it's downloading something once again so I keep on guessing that's good!

I'm going to wait until thats done, and install GAIM and then I'm going to wait for someone to responde to the installing Mozilla isue.

Thanks again for all your help guys, Hey also how do you guys make those cool and creative signatures? Some one said to use GIMP but I can't seem to make the text even come up on the choosen picture nor change the color of the text.

-Luis

Well I know know for sure that I have the Urpmi program, I did everything you guys said and checked if it was installed and it was.

Now for some reason the GAIM update is not working. I typed in the code provided by iphitus and this is what I get

warning: gaim-0.79-0mdk10.0.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4c292fcc
error: Failed dependencies:
       libtk8.4.so is needed by gaim-0.79-0mdk10.0

I guess it says it needs something ^ but I don't know what that is. Well I did get the version .75 installed, maybe it's a bad download or something, I know for a fact that I used another mirror last time. Anyways I'm of to try this again some how, and get that mozilla. And play with the paint program.

-Luis

Edited by Luis101

error: Failed dependencies:
      libtk8.4.so is needed by gaim-0.79-0mdk10.0

I looked up this file... it belongs to...

tk

which is on Installation CD 1. I also checked my installation of gaim and it does not use this file. I have gaim (version gaim-0.75-5mdk) installed and working, but I do not have tk-8.4.5-3mdk installed.

Check your Software Media Manager and see if you still have your install CD's listed as a source. I don't really know why exactly gaim wants this file... possibly you selected wrong version to install ?

Well that's O.K. I thought that by upgrading the gaim it would change the graphical apperance of the buddy list, or something but 0.75. So now I want to get this plugin thing over and done with. I have a homepage that runs a module. And it needs thet " Flash player 7 " I have installed it into the computer but this is the little problem that happneds to me, but to you guys it seems very easy and simple.

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):

don't understand where I have to send it to exactly. I didn't really like mozilla that much it didn't look as good as Konqueror, but I'm pretty sure that in the Konquero configure menu under plugins there something that mentions Netscape, and last time it was under some netscape file, and thats where the plugin was at. Also I tried running the inkscape and it said that I needed the 4cd I guess Im going to give this about a few more months and then Im just going to go ahead and buy it I got about 130 Is that enought to buy mandrake? Hmm Im going to go look at some prices. Do you guys recommend that I buy it?

-Luis

Sorry scoopy that I wasn't more clear on my last post, I already had tried that here is what happeneds when I hit Enter

Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):

WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.

I really don't know what do type in I tried typing in whats in the ( ) but it says that same message, I substituted the usr for the user name,

-Luis

P.S. how can I start to remove programs? I don't want Mozilla anymore but I can't delete from the home directory it says that access is denied. Also what else should I learn? Now that we pretty much got this whole speil over and done with. I just need this macromedia flash player installed and it should be done.

Edited by Luis101