k3b question

null

I burned a CD with k3b for the first time ever. I have previously used Nero for the past few years.

Anyway, I ripped the songs with Sound Juicer, and burned them with k3b. I liked k3b very much, it is alot like nero, plus its free... :D

However, my CD does not play in my car stereo, it just sits at song number 1 and displays 0:00. CDs that I burn with Nero play OK on my car stereo.

I assume that CDs burned with k3b should play on other CD players... :sad:

Make sure you burn an Audio CD and not a file CD with the MP3s on it.

If you are doing so, burn at a very low speed, it is common for burners to make coasters of audio CDs burnt at high speed.

Should that fail, what happens when you try to change track in the car? I burnt a CD once which had an empty first track for some unknown reason.

Its the first time I ever used k3b, but I remember first selecting Audio CD, then I dragged and dropped the ogg files until I had about 65 minutes worth. Then I clicked burn, selected 4x, and it burned the tracks and then said Fixating...

I noticed the burn type was set to Auto (for DAO, TAO), but in Nero I always did it with DAO. I wonder what k3b used...?

BTW - I liked Sound Juicer, but was dissapointed in that you could not select Quality. It says "coming soon !" under the Quality Setting. "Coming Soon" for linux progs sometimes means, well you know...

Does anyone know what default quality Sound Juicer rips oggs at? I can't tell, because I can't hear mp3s or oggs on my hard drive - the sound is so low I can't tell what they sound like... (I have another thread about this - in this same Forum - still unanswered... :sad: When I play audio CDs, the sound is nice and loud. When I play an ogg ripped with Sound Juicer, even though I can barely hear it, xmms displays bitrate quality varying from around 125Kbps to 150Kbps. I don't know how that translates to mp3 quality. When I rip mp3s (with CDex) on my winblows machine, I generally do either 192 or 256, even though lately I have been ripping as .wav files, then burning to cd, then deleting the .wav files.

Iphitus - when I change tracks in my car, it just displays the track I changed to and 0:00, like Track 3 0:00, and never starts playing. As mentioned above, when I burn CDs for my car stereo, I always burn at only 4x.

Edit: never mind about the unanswered "sound problem" thread I mentioned above. I just solved it.

Edited by null

I'm not sure if this applies to audio CDs, but have you checked that the disks are closed? I found when burnging DVD+RWs or CD-RWs that the drive in my old machine couldn't read them unless they were closed (sometime called finalized). If your car stereo is older than your wife's it might be having the same problem.

• 1 year later...
Make sure you burn an Audio CD and not a file CD with the MP3s on it.

Is this how one would burn an "mp3 cd" (one which could be played by an mp3 cd player) in k3b? Just making a data cd full of mp3s? I haven't seen any reference to how or if such a thing is possible or if it is.

If your CD player supports MP3 playback, then yes it is as simple as burning a data cd full of your MP3's. Only certain CD players are capable of doing this, so check on the box or sometimes the product to find out. Otherwise you will have to make an audio CD of your music.

If your CD player supports MP3 playback, then yes it is as simple as burning a data cd full of your MP3's.  Only certain CD players are capable of doing this, so check on the box or sometimes the product to find out.  Otherwise you will have to make an audio CD of your music.

aye it is, I'm used to Nero though which has an "mp3 cd" option along with "regular audio cd" I thought perchance that an mp3 cd had some kind of special database file for the mp3 cdplayer to read which had to be created by the burning program. I'll burn one tonight with k3b and see what happens.

man, this is an ancient thread of mine.... I'm surprised to see it again.

Since my original post waaaaay back then, I've bought a mp3 car stereo (last year) (an inexpensive Alpine) and have been compressing my entire vinyl LP and audio CD collections onto mp3 CDs... Oh the joys of being able to put an entire artist's output onto ONE CD.... !

Been using my linux box, and either grip or ripperx to rip, and k3b to burn the mp3 CDs (data CD project). I used to be addicted to Nero but I have pretty much moved all my audio-related computer work to my linux box. Now all I need to do is learn how to use a linux audio editor, such as audacity....

edit: yeah, I always wondered about how Nero has options to: Burn an audio CD, Burn a data CD, or burn an mp3 CD. Hmmm... an "mp3" CD IS a data CD....

I guess Nero wants people to think it does more stuff.... it burns audio CDs ! It burns data CDs ! and it even burns mp3 CDs !!

Edited by null