Suse/Mdk

Mandriva-user

Gowater, I couldn't have said it better myself; I completely agree with your assessment of suse. For someone used to linux the way they set things up and the file structure is just weird and I believe they do it that way on purpose to lock you in. I did an ftp install of suse9.0 to see what it was like and the download edition didn't have java installed. I tried to install sun's java but never got it working right; the linking was so weird and convoluted that it was virtually impossible to set up correctly.. In general, I found that installing anything not on the install cds was a real pain because of the unusual ways they do things at suse and it totally screws up yast's package management. As long as you stick to the stuff on the install cds, everything is fine but you dare not depart from it. When you install suse, you learn suse; when you install mandrake, you learn linux.

Pretty much everything has been said but :

They are both good workstation distros = if you want to get down to doing useful stuff. I seem to spend more time fiddling with other distros than working with them.

For comparison you should also throw RedHat / Fedora into the equation.

For me Mandrake is consistently the most efficient / responsive / fastest / useful.

But servers are a different ballgame.

Pretty much everything has been said but :

They are both good workstation distros = if you want to get down to doing useful stuff.  I seem to spend more time fiddling with other distros than working with them.

For comparison you should also throw RedHat / Fedora into the equation.

For me Mandrake is consistently the most efficient / responsive / fastest / useful. 

But servers are a different ballgame.

That what I like to hear.

Thank you to let me know and the disscussion is over,thank you every one it takes times to get the right answer,I didn`t have no problem with Mandrake 8.1-

9.1 or 9.2 with all the hardware .

Ooooh I can get the new one Suse Pro for 100.00 $ Canadian that is incl. taxes can you get a better price ?

Thank you every one to solve my problem Gentleman.

Mandrake-user

Edited by Mandrake-user

Your saying that you build your own computer,I build my computer and before I started I try to get all info. about hardware that will work with Mandrake Linux.

When just get a computer I don`t know what I get for my Canadian $,so I talk into me to build a computer.  :thanks:

It niggles me that I can't buy a computer without windows. I would rather spend the money I save on hardware.

On a related note I want to scan files and need to keep them for a long tome. I have been using PDF files biut they also have their issues.

Do any of you know or have experienxe of a file formet that is equally viable with windows and Linux? I have looked tentatively at Tiff files but the software for copying multi pages I do not have. I must be getting hungry that doesn't read quite right but I hope you get my drift.