Need Help with Mandrake

Guest kismeras

Guest kismeras

Hey Guys, i've been reading through some of the posts and was trying to find my answer to no avail. I am a real Windows moron. I've used windows all my life and know of nothing else. I am sick of all the crashes, patches, etc. So, i decided to try to learn Linux. Ha...i'm so windows that i don't even know where to start. I was trying to D/L Mandrake 10...but i don't even know what files to D/L, where to get them or anything. Please help. I really wanna learn Linux and escape the Microsoft hell. I have a Dell Dimension 8250. Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz, 120 gb hdd, 768mb ram...windows xp pro, blah, blah, blah. I paid all this money and this computer is slower than molasses. I think if i had a better O/S things would be better. I use AT&T DSL so i would need to get that working right away and could anyone tell me where i can get a good antivirus and firewall for Linux? Gotta be safe. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Welcome to the freedom of Linux!

The last first. An anti-virus for linux is around, but not needed. Nothing executes on a linux box without root permission. Root is the master. This is both good and bad. Good, because some idiot can't load a junk bit of program on your machine and execute it. But it is bad because windows users are so used to progams installing and setting themselves up that linux seems harder. Root permission is the base in security.

Any firewall you need will be included in the software!

Download the Mandrake iso files HERE

Get all four files. Burn the iso images to a cdrom. Don't copy, burn the cd image. This will give you a set of cd from which to install the os. Put the first cd in and boot with it. Follow the prompts. Now, before you burn, look at the md5sum file. This is a method of verifying the integrity of your download. All three md5sums are in the one file.

Before you load linux, I wopuld create a free partition on the drive and leave it unformatted. Mandrake will set up and format what it needs. If you have xppro, you no doubt have ntfs for partition formats. Mandrake can have a hard time resizing ntfs partitions, so do this with xp prior to installing Mandrake.

I have given you a lot of info. Feel free to ask more questions, no matter how basic. That's what we do here, answer questions. B)

Guest kismeras

Thank you so much, You are awesome. I guess all the stuff I have heard about Linux users being like a big family is true. I will defintely try what you suggested now. I am positive i will need to ask more questions, cause' i'm still windows. I'm really looking forward to this and i'm gonna give it a good try and not give up. Again, thanks for the answers.

Oh, by the way...is there a Linux Version to Adobe Photoshop CS? Thanks.

Like everyone said welcome to Linux,

I transfered over to windows almost about 3 or so days ago, and I just took the big step of dropping windows completely, I didn't try that dual-boot just madrake by it's self. Mandrake can some what be confusing, I know this because as of right now I'm having some technical issues, but nothing that can't be fixed. This board is the best for all your questions and needs there are people in this forum that know mandrake like the back of their hands. These people really do know what they are talking about. This might not have the info that you want, but I just wanted to inform you that linux is really great, there might be times where you want to switch back to windows and thats normal because I have wanted to do the same, but trust me people in this forum would not let you down. Once you get Linux installed make sure to get URPMI it's a great program. And there is a great person ( Iphitus ) that will help you get all that installed.

Line some one said to me " Stick and around, you will learn "

-Luis :headbang:

Guest kismeras

Thank you guys. You're all making this easy for me. I just got an old box that i am going to put Linux on....waiting for my KVM switch to get here. Thanks again and i'll be sure to keep the questions coming.