FC2 & winXP

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the links cybr. Its a little late for me, but it might help someone else. :P

Personally I dont see how they could release something like that. Fedora Core if Im not mistaken wants to go for the desktop market or would like too, again if Im wrong correct me. Anways joe blow the windows user is not going to go through all of that to install Linux. Theres enough to learn without having to almost know command line right off the bat. Fedora Core 1 is a worthy canidate for someone wanting to try linux. Not as easy as say MDK, Suse or Xandros, but still it can be done. Core 2, NOT!!!

I have lost faith in the development of Fedora Core. Although I haven't downloaded any RECENT iso's to see if its still doing that, I would be really dissappointed if they haven't fixed it YET. Seeing as how it was doing it since the 2nd RC.

If I was installing without dual booting (yea yea flame away :cheesy: ) I wouldn't care. Most new linux users dual boot though thats the sad thing about what Core 2 does.

FX

Your allowed to say and think what you want about a distro; B)

I would correct you on Fedora being for the Desktop market, because it is really for Devel's and people who like rh products but want to be more on a bleeding edge.

Like I said in the #musb, the dual boot (hose up windows) was all part of a master plan by RH to get rid of windows once and for all.

:lol2:

Sorry it happened to your wife though.

I stand corrected.

Your sorry about my wifes pc! you should be me! :furious3: <<<< Her

Im just mad or still mad. Like I have said numerous other times. Redhat 9 was the first, well second, but my first love of linux. Fedora Core 1 was right along with it. Im just mad about this deal thats all. Hopefully its gets better with age.

FX

I have the disks ffor FC2 in my hands aand now onder if I should install, with windows already there. according to this (see below), it says its fixed in the final(?) ie not test release :

from http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nodualboot

#9 Q: I installed Fedora Core 2, and now I can't boot into Windows!

A: This should only happen if you installed a Fedora Core 2 Test Release and then upgraded to the Final version of Fedora Core 2. (If you don't know what that means, don't worry -- it doesn't apply to you.)

This actually isn't specific to Fedora, it happens on many Linux distributions using the new 2.6 kernel.

If you have this happen to you, here's how to fix it:

1. Open a Terminal.

2. Become root:

su -

3. Type this:

sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk --no-reread -H255 /dev/hda

NOTE: Your Windows hard drive may not be "hda" -- if you're not sure, you can do cat /proc/partitions to see how big each part of each drive is. That might give you an idea of which one is Windows. If your Windows drive is not hda, replace "hda" in the above command with your Windows hard drive.

If the above doesn't work, or it gives you an error, try "-H240" instead of "-H255".

If you want more information, or if the above doesn't work for you, see bug 115980 in Red Hat's Bugzilla.

(Thanks to Gareth Russell for figuring this all out from the Bugzilla bug.)

Grendal I have the FC 2 final and yes it still does that. I also tryied the

sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk --no-reread -H255 /dev/hda

fix and it didn't work. If you decide to install go to the sites that cybr posted and do them word for word. I would not make you any promises. Not sure what cybr would say, but yet he is much more knowing about Linux than I am.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and back up anything you tresure on your windows side.

FX

the real question is why are the botch iso's still available and not fixed iso's? Mandrake fixed their's....sorta, well for the most part :P .....hehehe CE-->OE . Just because it's called final doesn't mean it should stay that way if all it does it screw up ppl's systems. Along the line of what FX was referring to with newbies is that though this is 'recoverable' for a linux veteran or even a cool headed n00b, that's not usually the case.....so data is lost.

now, time to reinstall this puppy after a day of switching master/slave win/lin :thumbs:

Edited by bvc

:furious3:

it's like windows.....it ask.....you say don't.....and it does

I did all the partitioning in PM8. Get the parted warning...tell it to ignore......use custom partitioning and tell it not to format....get the warning....tell it to go w/o partitioning anyway....install....put grub in / (hdb6) instead of mbr......reboot to win98se (first primary on hda)......open PM8 and the partition table was altered. It fixed it, but man......FC2 devel needs to get with it!

That first link that cybr posted I have been trying to understand it, but not quite sure what to do. Here is what I have...

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

What numbers do I put in and at what prompt? Sorry but kind of lost on this one. :unsure:

FX

Its very sad that the newbies like me need to fix this manually, especially when I dont have the skills to use some command lines. I tried to still FC2 3 times whit the GRUB on the MBR and I have the message:

Minimal Bash-Line Editing.......bla,bla,bla.... :angry:

After some research I found the FC2 cant coexist with WinXP, i am very sad I am lost all my faith, I will still use my machine with MK and forget about FC2.

I went back to Slackware. Much easier.

FX

....and I'm right behind ya ;) this stinks......now PM8 shows the fedora partition as unsupported and full and won't do anything with it except delete it.......which is all I really need it to do ;)

The wife has just agreed to use linux as her main :headbang: (ML-10-OE has been her main on our old box)....so first I'll be messing with SuSE9.1.....then slack with replace fedora :zzz: Mandrake runs too hot :devil: 48C ...fedora rt now is at 34C....big diff, and what I'm use to.

Edited by bvc