Failed to start scanner Device busy

finlay

My Mustek 1200 UB + worked fine under 9.2 and as far as I know under 10 CE (though I'm not sure about that. I've downloaded the firmware from Henning's SANE page and used MCCto install it. (previously I created adirectory under /usr/shar/sane called gt68xx and copied the file there - this still exists). However when I do get a scanner recognized - it sees it as a Mustek Bear Paw 1200CU - I get the SANE window but no connection to the device. I just get the message "Failed to start scanner Device busy". Anyone any ideas?

Further to this: I downloaded the update to init and now I've got a kooka device file on my desktop. Still the same problem though. Here's the weird bit: mandrake ONLY recognises there's a scanner there if I first boot into Windows and run the scanner software...... If I don't do that I get No scanner found.

???

If you can get your scanner to work with Mandrake 9.x before, then I cannot tell what the problem is....

My Epson Perfection 660 requires firmware to be uploaded at start.

I am not sure whether your Mustek model requires that or not.

yes. As I said "I've downloaded the firmware from Henning's SANE page and used MCCto install it. (previously I created adirectory under /usr/shar/sane called gt68xx and copied the file there - this still exists)."

I'm flummoxed.

Agian, as I said:

"previously I created adirectory under /usr/shar/sane called gt68xx and copied the file there - this still exists". I'll do man sane-gt68xx and see.

Later: However you're right. I had the wrong firmware. I added sbfw.usb to the ones I had in there and the scanner 's now recognised as a Scanexpress UB Plus. Hurrah!

BUT.... ONLY IF I FIRST RUN THE SCANNER UNDER WINDOWS. ???

Edited by finlay

The new kernel has SCSi not installed into the kernel. The old one did. You need to add SCSI as a module to get the mustec scanners to work again.

Why SCSI was removed I'll never know know but the problem is mentioned on the Sane web site.

The new kernel has SCSi not installed into the kernel. The old one did. You need to add SCSI as a module to get the mustec scanners to work again.

Why SCSI was removed I'll never know know but the problem is mentioned on the Sane web site.

Well lsmod gives me scsi_mod and I'm running kernel 2.6.3-14mdk. There's no append=scsi in lilo. Whatever, the scanner is now working now that I ran it under Windows :D

Of all the things. I didn't notice my scanner didn't work untill this post. I have the same one.

Tried all morning to get it to work. Now right after running this command ( modprobe usb-uhci ) it works. Even after a reboot.

Go figure.

Working away from home- hence delay. Well, I ran modprobe usb-uhci and rebooted - to no avail. I got No device available. Rebooted into Windows, ran scanner, rebooted into Linux - and lo and behold scanner works. It seems that Windows warms up the usb connection - whatever that means.

Go figure.

B)