ADSL connection - SOLVED

william

After more than 8 months clean, presently I'm logged on windows under my new ADSL internet connection, that unfortunately I haven' t succeeded in making it work under linux, yet.

I installed the rp-pppoe package and its gui version, but have set up the adsl connection via terminal, typing as root: " adsl-setup", " adsl-status" and "adsl-start". Everything seems to be working properly, but when I open the browser and try to load any url it fails to get connected. (indeed, I open the browser through terminal as root, to check if it was the issue).

In the internet section of MCC, I started playing around with manage, remove and add connection options and have noticed that my old internet set-up (ip, dns and gateway) insists to be loading even having deleted it via GUI way.

The modem (speedstream 5200) is attached to my network card (properly recognized by linux) using pppoe protocol.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

PS: btw, if adsl-start command is only recognized when logged as root, how can a simple user load the ADSL connection?

Edited by william

My problem was easier than yours, cause the modem is attached to my ethernet card instead a usb interface. If the OS recognizes the ethernet card, the modem is not a issue.

After a google seach I found these places that maybe can be a starting point to solve your problem.

good luck.

Edited by william