Mandrake 10.0 hard drive problems

Jet2k5

Hey guys,

This is my first post in this forum and Im hoping you guys can help me. I just downloaded all the ISO and burned them on to the 3 cd's. Now I started the installation and I got to the part where it asks me about the Partitions, Its the scree that has the " Erase Disk, Use free windows partition, and I believe the last one is something custom " Well I want to run windows, and linux. After I choose Use free windows pretition, I get a screen that asks me " Which size do you want to keep for windows on ". Then it gives me a line with a button that I have to move from side to side to choose the amount of space the only thing is that I don't know how much. The first time that I did it I left it where it was it was all the way to the right. And then when I got to the part where I choose the packages that I want I only had 265MB, When I tried it again and moved the Button to the left almost completely to the left, it went down to 230 MB and then I tried the middle and now I get only about to 500, thats barely enought to run the KDE and 1 other package, now I have to defrement my hard disk, so that I can try to figure this thing out.

Does any one know what to do? I really want to get this installed people told me it was going to be easy but it turns out that its not that easy. There was that tutorial that some one posted here his name started with an A.

-Luis

Try defragging your drive. This may offer you more space there.

Usually the minimum for a decent Mandrake installation is 1.5gb, though 3gb is comfortable.

If you continue to have trouble, try the custom partitioning. As for the tutorial you mention, i dont know of it, however you might find something in the FAQ section of this board.

Before doing anything, go into windows, my computer, right click on the "c" drive and see how large your drive is and how much space you have left.

Do you have one hard drive, two hrad drives?

OK,

It says that total size is 35 GB, and free space I have 21.3 GB, I don't know what do at this tab that I have to move around. I tried putting towards the middle and I only got 500 something to install packages, also if I delete the entire disk, will my recovery cds be able to install everything back? But i would really like to run both, just incase I have a few problems with mandrake I can use windows to access this.

thanks

oh yeah I only have 1 hard drive im running an HP pavilion ze5170 laptop, and I just defragmented my hardrive last night.

Edited by Luis101

uh no actually, I tried choosing different points on that bar that I have to move to determain how much space windows gets, so I did it like 3 times and then finanally last night it said that it needed to run defrag, so I asked around and they told me to do that thing on windows, so I did and I feel asleep I just woke up so I want to know morea bout this part of the download before I can try to install it again, also how can I manually install the partitions? I know how to get to the menu, but I don't know what to do exactly.

-Luis

Hey guys,

DON'T EVEN BOTHER, I just erased my whole disk!! And right now Im talking to you thrue MANDRAKE!!!!! I have only been on this thing for about 10 minutes and dammm I love this!!!! NOW I have to look for that GAIM thing so that I can let some people know!!!! Thanks guys for all your help, Reply only if you want to say something nice, if your a mod feel free to delete it, don't want it to take up more space.

-Luis

P.S how can I look for GAIM or do I have to download it?

OK - now you have defragmented your windows partition, you should find all that 21GB of free space is at the end of the disk, in one continuous lump.

You can now decide how much free space you wish to leave for windows to expand - depends how much you will use it in future. I would suggest leaving about another 5GB, and use the rest (15GB) for Linux.

You may as well let Mandrake auto allocate this space as this is your first install, and you have a reasonable amount of free space.

If you ever run out of space under Linux in the future, it is very easy to seamlessly add another drive and reclaim/expand partitions, so you don't really have to worry too much about this.

Chris

Thanks! Is there anything special that I should put in front of that? I really don't know how to shut down the computer down now, I don't really know that many commands!!! ill try it

the urpmi gaim hopefully that will work!!.

-Luis

PS I just tried it and some how it didn't work, he can you please give me step by step?

Edited by Luis101

This site will set you right.

http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php

Basicly it uses the underlying commands that the GUI update uses. Its more complete and in depth.

You don't need to remove you old sources for this to work.

After you get the new update sources setup (get a PLF and contrib source) type in the command

urpmi --auto-select

This will update the whole of the system. But only the apps you have installed now. To add more you just need to use the command

urpmi appname

urpmi gaim

this will download and install Gain.

You'll have to do all this from a terminal windows as root.

To switch to root user just type in su then the admin password.

Post back with any other questions.

hey guys, well I tried doing this open source file thing, and when I get to the ./configure I get this erros message.

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

See `config.log' for more details.

What do I do, its funny because i run this config.log and it says access denied but then i long in as root and it still says that same thing!!!!!

What do i have to do I don't think that I have the newest version of gaim how can I take a screen shot so that you guys can tell me and see if it the newest version of gain. I don't even know what the heck im doing once I started Linux, I seriously find this more harder than I thought. But thankfully theres you guys to help me.

-Luis G.

is there another way to run GAIM like instead of doing the gaim command? Maybe create a shortcut for it for easier acces or something, adding it to my toolbar would be nice