Mandrake+Windows XP

Guest huah

Hi,guys..I'm trying to install mdk 10.0 official on a my friend's machine with windows xp.

Repartitioning, Diskdrake has two options,"Normal" & "Expert".

Using "normal"one I select Xp partition,and move the bar to resize...the fact is just 3 megabytes become available before bar touches its lowest level !! Using Expert mode I can directly set the dimension giving numeric values..but I don't know possible effects..I must avoid to give it hell..any suggestions?

Yeah check that its no full and its recommended that you defrag the partition you are about to resize, or you might lose data.

Got this from MDK 9.2 online Documentation (10s doesnt seem to be up yet):

Use the free space on the Windows partition: if Microsoft Windows  is installed on your hard drive and takes all the space available on it, you will have to create free space for GNU/Linux. To do so, you can delete your Microsoft Windows partition and data (see “Erase entire disk” solution) or resize your Microsoft Windows FAT or NTFS partition. Resizing can be performed without the loss of any data, provided you have previously defragmented the Windows partition. Backing up your data is strongly recommended.. Using this option is recommended if you want to use both Mandrake Linux and Microsoft Windows on the same computer.

Good luck!

Guest huah

Eccomi, sorry for this late answer.

Yes, I think that on a 200Gb hd of which just 40Gb have been used is enough for installing Mandrake...defrag? Done. That's really a problem, I can't beleive to risk all dates, it's an Xp problem? Or sthg related to Hard Drive? Aaarrgghh!!!

My experience with DiskDrake and NTFS is that it can onlu resize until it encounters the first peice of data. Which means even if you have used only about 25% of the disk if Windows in its wisdom has put any of that at the end of the drive DiskDrake is going to have problems.

Stupidly defrag only makes sure that data blocks are continous I haven't yet found a way of making it move everything to the beginning of the disk.

I had the same problem, but I was having a hard of a time moving that bar around and seeing how much space was available, never had enought to even install more than 2 packages. So I just check the " Empty entire disk " now I'm running Mandrake by it's self, and trust me you can't regret it. Try this if you want and if your friend doesn't like it then he can use his recovery disks ( if he has them ) to start windows back up. Dual-boot didn't work for me so this is what I did. Many people out there do run both operating systems on their computer, didn't work for me.

-Luis :jester:

Guest ThePainter

There is a program called Raxco Perfect disc and it defrags and moves all the files to the beginning of the partition and even segragates them into which have been modifide recently or not.

Guest huah

:wall::wall::wall:

Hi boys,no..giving farewell to Bill isn't an option for now.

That's a very annoying problem, I can't believe XP & Linux to

be icompatible. I Installed without problem on another Xp

runned machine Mdk 9.2,it went smooth.

Even now I'm running Mdk 10.0 Off. in dual boot with WinMe,

can it be smthg regarding hardware(hd)? Thanks

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Guest uberpenguin

I had exactly the same problem. Turns out that you're supposed to select the option that's something like "Use Windows Partition Space" instead of "Custom Partitioning". This then gives you a slider giving you the option of how much space to leave Windows, and the rest is done for you! Atleast, this is how I did it and it appeared to install fine...

Just remember to degragment, defragment and defragment before doing so!