Logitech MX310 Driver Install

jbarry

what exactly do you mean by "would like my mouse to work better"?

what's not working? what would you like to work?

we may be able to fix the problem without compiling a driver.

As for things that don't work:

The scroll

The side buttons

The "application" button

I would like the scroll to work obviously, and it would be nice to have the side buttons customizable like they are in windows. When I am running windows I am able to set a button up as back for web surfing and such.

there's a way to set up the side buttons, but at the moment I can't remember.

I know how to set up the scroll button, but you're going to have to edit a file as root...so, if you're comfortable with the command line:

open a terminal and su to root, then use your favorite text editer to edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and look for the "Pointer" or "Mouse" section.

You'll want to add the following line, probably below the protocol line:

Option     "ZAxisMapping"     "4 5"

hopefully someone who remembers how to get the buttons working will jump in and help out there :)

Here's the part of XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Logitech MX310"

Driver "mouse"

Option "CorePointer"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

Option "Buttons" "7"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

That's how it has been, no scroll working still, which is why I was interested in the drivers

ah. could you try varying the ZAxisMapping? try "5 6" or even "3 4"

warning: this may result in your mouse being a bit "whacky" -jumping aorund- so be prepared for that...

Ok, I changed the values and now the mouse doesn't work at all.

Other info that might be helpful.

I am running the mouse through USB and I am on a laptop with the touchpad configured.

Gonna change the values back and reboot.

Edit - after reboot mouse is still not functional.

Edited by jbarry

ah. could you try varying the ZAxisMapping? try "5 6" or even "3 4"

warning: this may result in your mouse being a bit "whacky" -jumping aorund- so be prepared for that...

"5 6" "3 4" won't work but "6 7" will. Now you'll have your extra buttons but the scroll wheel will only scroll horizontally, not vertically unless you place the mouse pointer directly over the scroll bar. Very annoying so I put mine back to "4 5"

I'll try the "6 7" and see what happens. I do have one question and I know typing can come off differently than speech so I will say that this is not intended to be offensive if it comes off that way.

Maybe it is just me and my old windows ways, but why if there is a driver would I not want to use that? It seems like that way I am not doing a workaround, or modifying something else. Is it hard to add drivers to the kernel? It just seems like it would be easier in the long run, if the drivers were used and it would be less hassle to use something designed for the product.

Edit - with "6 7" the mouse is working again and the scroll works fine. I don't know if the buttons work because I am not sure where to configure them

Edited by jbarry

to answer your first question: because the drivers aren't the official drivers, You see the kernel already comes with drivers which are guaranteed to work. using other drivers are not guareanteed to work for you and taint the kernel (which loads the drivers) and can potentially cuase it to become unstable leading to ther probs.

You can try binding the keyswith xbindkeys. I dont think it is in the urpmi sources. Try "urpmi xbindkeys" to find out. If not

Save these,

type "su", your password, and you will be root.

assuming you downloaded these to your current directory:

rpm -ivh xbindkeys-1.6.3-2.i386.rpm

rpm -ivh xbindkeys_config-0.1.2-1.i386.rpm

http://www.hut.fi/~tkarvine/linux/misc-rpm....6.3-2.i386.rpm

http://www.hut.fi/~tkarvine/linux/misc-rpm....1.2-1.i386.rpm

Now "exit" from root, become a normal user then open "xbindkeys_config"

Click new, then "get key" and click the window with the button you want to configure. Set a name and a command for it to run when you press it and then hit Save, Apply and Exit.

You will also need to set xbindkeys to run when you login to kde. does anyone know how to do this for him?

iphitus