nVidia driver problem with MDK10 OE

Guest GreenBanditAtWork

:D

SORTED.

Just in case this helps anyone else, the problem was due to AGPGART incompatabilities. The solution was to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file & add the line

Option "NvAgp" "0"

in the same section as the line

Driver "nvidia" (this line read Driver "nv" prior to editing it as per the nVidia instructions).

On my system, the relevant part of the XF86Config-4 file is now

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS

Option "NvAgp" "0"

Endsection

The rational behind this is:-

Look at Appendix F of the nVidia README file (on the same page as where their driver is downloaded, currently

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display...2_1.0-5336.html

If your chipset is not listed, try what I described above.

Can anyone tell me how to use glxgears to benchmark the nVidia driver ?

Also I have a file "TirtaniumLINUX". (the Linux version of Tirtanium 1.90). Can anyone tell me how to run it ?

EVEN MORE SORTED.

Adding the line to XF86Config-4 (see above post for details)

Option "NvAGP" "0"

totally disables AGP support. I have just managed to get some sort of AGP support for my SiS741GX chipset by instead adding the line

Option "NvAGP" "1"

which apparently uses "NVAGP".

My TirtaniumLINUX file won't run cos it can't find a "libMesaGLU.so.3", so I can't use that benchmarking s/w (that is still beyond me unless anyone can help).

Is it possible to find out if the video drivers and AGP support are working by using glxgears as a benchmark ?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similair issue, I thought I was running in AGP mode until I opened the nVidia control panel and saw it was running PCI mode. If you have an unsupported chipset you need to run the native Linux AGP driver, so open your /ect/X11/XF86Config-4 and changed the

Option "NVAgp"

from a value of 1 to 2, forcing it to use AGP/Gart instead of NVAgp.

0=AGP off

1=Force nVidia AGP driver

2=Use defualt Linux AGP/Gart

3=Use any AGP driver if possible

This worked perfectly and boosted glxgears by almost 30%. The readme for the last nVidia drivers explained this pretty clearly, but this version didn't go in to as much detail. If you run an "unsupported" chipset this is the only fix so far, but it does work just fine. (and if anyone cares, my chipset is a VIA KM266DDR).

Hope this helps somebody, fixed my issues big time.

Edited by xbob

EVEN MORE SORTED.

Adding the line to XF86Config-4 (see above post for details)

Option "NvAGP" "0"

totally disables AGP support. I have just managed to get some sort of AGP support for my SiS741GX chipset by instead adding the line

Option "NvAGP" "1"

which apparently uses "NVAGP".

My TirtaniumLINUX file won't run cos it can't find a "libMesaGLU.so.3", so I can't use that benchmarking s/w (that is still beyond me unless anyone can help).

Is it possible to find out if the video drivers and AGP support are working by using glxgears as a benchmark ?

uninstall then re-install the libMESA rpm

Illogic-Al

I've just trashed my MDK 10 installation while trying to read some OS9 (6809 not Mac) floppies.

From a clean installation I will try again with the TirtaniumLINUX that says it wants the libMesaGLU.s0.3 file. I did find a copy of libMesaGLU.s0.3, but when I started to install it, I was informes that it would remove the later version already on my system.

Question - should I need to remove the MDK version 5 of libMeasGLU that MDK 10 installed or if (there were no system glitches) should TirtaniumLINUX pick up and use a later version of the file that it it asking for (namely libMesaGLU.s0.3) ?

:help:

xbob

Your quote about NVagp numbers is spot on, "NVagp" "1" uses the nVidia AGP module. What I have not yet got my mind around is why with no NVagp line in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 things totally freeze/fail, but specifying "NVagp" "1" (i.e. saying use the nVidia module when nVidia say my 741GX chipset is not supported) does work ?

:oops:

Yes that was badly worded.

What I want to do is run an OpenGL benchmark on my Linux PC, ideally Tirtanium V1.9 ( www.tirtanium.de ) as I have results obtained from Windows systems that go back about 4 years. I have results from Windows PCs taken with and without AGP support, and I want to get the same for my Linux PC.

When I tried to run TirtaniumLINUX, it said that it was unable to find "libMesaGLU.so.3". I downloaded libMesaGLU.so.3, but when I tried to install it, Linux said that first it would have to remove the existing libMesaGLU.so.5

I don't know enough about Linux to know if a program (in this case Tirtanium) should be expected to use a later version of the library file that it was looking for.

Question 1 - is the fact that Tirtanium would not run with libMesaGLU.so.5 when it wanted libMesaGLU.so.3 normal for a Linux program or have I got a system error ?

Question 2 - Is it safe to remove libMesaGLU.so.5 and install libMesaGLU.so.3 or could this stop other OpenGL programs that I intend to install (e.g. Quake3) from running ?

xbob

Your quote about NVagp numbers is spot on, "NVagp" "1" uses the nVidia AGP module. What I have not yet got my mind around is why with no NVagp line in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 things totally freeze/fail, but specifying "NVagp" "1" (i.e. saying use the nVidia module when nVidia say my 741GX chipset is not supported) does work ?

I'm not sure what's up with that either, if I set mine to "1" then it puts my card in PCI mode, but "2" works perfectly and neither setting has caused me to crash. This is just one of those things where you have to find what works for you and not worry about it, I do think I'll submit a report to nVidia about my experience so they can update thier readme, and would suggest you do the same. I'll see if I can find a support link for us to use later when I get some time.

I've just noticed that nVidia have released new IA32 Linux drivers, namely V61.06 rel 30 June 2004.

Since I've just trashed my Linux installation, I'm going to reinstall everything & try the new drivers. I want to work out why the nVidia AGP driver works for me when I have a SiS741GX chipset that is not listed as being supported.

I will post what I find back here, probably in the next 1 or 3 days.

I've just noticed that nVidia have released new IA32 Linux drivers, namely V61.06 rel 30 June 2004.

Since I've just trashed my Linux installation, I'm going to reinstall everything & try the new drivers. I want to work out why the nVidia AGP driver works for me when I have a SiS741GX chipset that is not listed as being supported.

I will post what I find back here, probably in the next 1 or 3 days.

Well, I finished my clean install a little while ago, same resluts with the same methods. On the bright side my performance is much better after the fresh install, so it was well worth the effort. I'll file a report with nViidia this weekend so it's officially documented somewhere and post a link back for you to do the same Green.

Got MDK10 OE re-installed, used the new nVidia 61.06 driver & got Quake3 test demo running.

I still get the same effect regarding AGP, namely

Option "NVagp" "1" works (don't yet know if this is AGP or PCI mode), but without this line it black screen freezes.

One of the threads from the nVidia Linux D/L page points to their forum

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdispl...p?s=&forumid=14

One of the nVidia guys (Andy Mecham) lists a load of info that they want in order to help us, so I'm going to post my findings there (& here) once I've done testing.

XBOB, you say your card was running in PCI mode at one point. Where did you get this info from ? Also, what are you using to benchmark the system framerate ?

"Search and Ye Shall Find"

By entering the command

dmesg

I can see that my card is running in PCI mode :angry:

This happens with the

Option "NvAgp" set to either "0" or "1". With it set to "2" or unset (i.e. defaults to "3", I get the black screen freeze.

Running glxgears with the graphics window maximised (1024x768x24bpp) I get 146 FPS. Not very good for such a simple bit of OpenGL. I can get better with Tirtanium1.9 (with 1000s of polygons & Mb of textures) in W2K. I'm not yet ready to ditch Windows & use Linux all the time :-(

Question - What are the commands to get the Quake3 demo to do a framerate test