internet page loading

spider200

i have been having trouble connecting to the internet, but finally i have connected and a dialog box appears saying i am connected to the network, but when i try and use konqueror of mozilla the page never loads, as if i am not connected the internet ???? can someone please tell me what the hell might be going on ???? when i try and connect to gaim the same thing happens, it won't connect, but i am connected to my isp and the isp is working correctly, so i assume it is a connectiong problem on my computer ????

please help, thank you

what the hell does that mean ? what is the answer to my question ?????

one at once ...

1)

it means it will show your default route.... which is what it uses for the internet or not! If it doesnt then it will explain why you cant connect ... if it does then we will look at something called dns resolution !

2) but i am connected to my isp and the isp is working correctly, so i assume it is a connectiong problem on my computer ????

thats why Im trying to acertain!

to open a root terminal

choose run from the menu then xterm

then type

su (this with no user makes you root, superuser)

<type your root password>

then type

route

it will spit out the routing info and then we can tell if its set up properly...

it might be set up just to connect to your ISP... for instance in which case its pretty easy to fix!!!

i have been having trouble connecting to the internet, but finally i have connected and a dialog box appears saying i am connected to the network, but when i try and use konqueror of mozilla the page never loads, as if i am not connected the internet ???? can someone please tell me what the hell might be going on ???? when i try and connect to gaim the same thing happens, it won't connect, but i am connected to my isp and the isp is working correctly, so i assume it is a connectiong problem on my computer ????

please help, thank you

sup gorgeous.

ok open up a terminal and then type

vi /etc/resolv.conf

you can paste the above into the terminal and just hit enter. Then copy the contents of said file and paste in here.

Oh to make sure you are actually connected to the net. I'd try checking with MCC first. Open up the Mandrake Control Center, Go to Network & Internet > Monitor Connections.

If you see pretty little red and yellow lines, and and average recieveing AND Sending speed, then you are, in fact connected.

nah - If he'd added smileys it wouldnt be so abrupt!

I guess it was a combination of a word often used as a strong .. word and the tone he looked like he typed it in !!!

In other words just a noobie not telling the differnce of how someti,es it cqn look less polite typing something without using emoticons to confer tone or maybe someone didnt read we just do this to help people... (and we dont work for mandrake soft)

still sometimes you cant win - do we treat all nooby members like they never used linux before or do we assume some knowledge or .... do we just all do our best ????