Firefox - slow loading pages

I really, really, love firefox - however, there is one thing...

Since I have been exclusively using my new FC2 box, I have noticed that web pages just take forever to load (well, at least alot of them do). For example, I go to nba.com sometimes and it takes FOREVER to load completely. It says at the bottom "transferring data from ad.doubleclick.net" or something like that.

The main part of the page is loaded quickly (the parts I care about) and I know it is the banners at the top, or the ads over on the right side of the screen that are taking forever to load. It is just irritating to have my mouse pointer being an hourglass for 5 minutes on every page I go to. I have gotten in the habit, even though a page hasn't finished loading the ads, to just click the Stop Loading button at the top..

Now, when I used to use my win2k machine (I also used firefox on that machine), the exact same pages loaded much quicker. Very quick in fact. I have broadband.

Is there something to do to alleviate this situation ? :wall:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

how do I tell what kernel I'm using? what's the command?

I have a FC2 install - whatever kernel comes with FC2.

I have also read some things about "my firefox seems very slow..." - I think on my LUG mailing list some guy was complaining about it.

hmmm... I just realized I called my thread "Firefox" just like Ix's earlier thread. Sorry Ix, I'll change the thread title.

It's a well known problem with the 2.6 kernel's implementation of the ipv6 protocol. Try adding this line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias net-pf-10 off

that turns off ipv6 and has worked for me when I noticed the same problem. Reboot for the new setting to take effect.

• 1 month later...
definately much faster !!

thanks pmpatrick

This is from my Debian system:

# Uncomment the network protocols you don't want loaded:

# alias net-pf-1 off # Unix

# alias net-pf-2 off # IPv4

alias net-pf-3 off # Amateur Radio AX.25

alias net-pf-4 off # IPX

alias net-pf-5 off # DDP / appletalk

alias net-pf-6 off # Amateur Radio NET/ROM

alias net-pf-9 off # X.25

alias net-pf-10 off # IPv6

alias net-pf-11 off # ROSE / Amateur Radio X.25 PLP

alias net-pf-19 off # Acorn Econet

Might that help with speeds too? As far as I know, the only ones you need are the first two.