AMD64

Gowator

These are MY experiences I actively encourage disagreements or other experience so dont be shy....

MDK 9.2 (boxset) and 10RC

This was a freebie from MDK when I attended the linux expo....

It sat around for ages and then I took the plunge and went for a AMD64 box

MDK 9.2got bypassed and I went straight for 10RC ...

setting sources proved a problem and working out which RPMS were available or not in 64 and how to combine them .The nvidia driver would NOT work at all. (seperate 64 bit version) with the mandrake 2.6 kernel...

.. the mirrors with ANMD64 kept changing etc. so I decided to try the 9.2

9.2 was better, 10RC immediately felt raw in maturity stages but the 9.2-10 facelift was missing... The official has the MDK compiled NIVIDIA which does work with their kernel...

I guess when 10 OE is available for MDK ill have to buy it or make my own kernel.... MDK have IMHO crippled 10-AMD64 unless you buy the boxset or want to do your own kernel.

well ... i figured in for a penny (English saying) if Im compiling my own kernels I mightest well try gentoo.

Well I did and many packages are still masked (not recommended yet).

they will install but you need to force them...

Lilo will not install in 64 bit and grub will not compile so I had to use a static compiled 32 bit!

(The kernel is the Suse 64 kernel...but recompiled. )

overall not bad but not the gentlest intro to gentoo.

also gentoo is a bit pointless IMHO on AMD64... unless you wanna play with unstable optimisations and O=3 .. since by definition everything is compiled for that processor. Apparently gcc3.4 has a march=k8 which adds a furthwer 20% speed increase but I didnt try I ws still using a late 3.3.

Debian dual arch is almost ready.. this seems my next try....

I hate to say it but i think Suse is probably the only stable AND packages available distro at the momment but I can't force myself to use YAST...

Ill try anytrhing right now :D

seriously Gentoo didnt not work out becuase its just an extra layer of compexity/learning going to immature stuff like amd64. Not becuase its bad or anything but its hard to get support on IRC you have to keep shouting AMD64 ... AMD64 ....

else they accidentally tell you wrong... like emerging masked packages theyre like oh you dont wanna do that if your a noobie and Im like but IM on AMD64 ... then theyre like oh... dont know about that...

If I was an experienced 32 bit gentoo x86 sorta penguin Id probably have fared much better... and I intend to try again anyway....

Im looking forward to the debian dual arch.... and also MDK releasing an official... but its damned expensive...Suse is much cheaper!

Not becuase its bad or anything but its hard to get support on IRC you have to keep shouting AMD64 ... AMD64 ....

If you went to #gentoo you'll find the support is quite bad for anything - theres just too many people in there, and most don't put nicks in their replies making it almost impossible to figure out whats going on.

If I was an experienced 32 bit gentoo x86 sorta penguin Id probably have fared much better... and I intend to try again anyway....

Installing gentoo on an alpha was my first experience with that distro, I guess the support for alpha is older and more packages are stable improving the experience. In fact, I liked it so much I've now got gentoo on my laptop.

also qchem....

server packages are fine.... it was your sucess prompted me to think ill give it a try ....

but as a home workstation way too much is masked and unstable on AMD64 but its changing very quick....

Ill sit it out a little and then jum,p in again! maybe play about with it with a 32bit in the meantime and try fedora etc.

to be honest the fedora/amd64 is a bit ironic....

that is RH traditionaly kept with i386 - way way way after it was conceivable of actually running a current version on a 386!

no multimedia support on P4/athlon etc

somehow I never think of RH as being optimised at all so perhaps this is a good consequence of the fork.....