added bonus using Winex4.0 (codega) in mandrake 10

This topic realy falls somewhere between about 3 different forums, but since it's all thnks to transgaming, I'm putting it here.

One of the biggest complaints from windows to linux converts is that some things are different in ways that make no sense. We all understand why it's not set up with global permissions, and we all know why configuration is usualy handled through easy to read/edit text files and so on.

But some things, just make no sense, like why putting a cd in the drive, doesn't let you access it's contents. And why once a cd is mounted, pushing the button won't eject the CD. Sorry, but that's dumb.

There's been many attempts at fixing this. The first serious one that I was aware of was supermount, but supermount comes with a rather healthy set of inherant problems.

Mandrake10.0 comes with something differnt. It includes a program which instead of leaving a drive always mounted like supermount, leaves it unmounted and then mounts it on disk insertion. it can even tell what kind of disk it is and with a lite initial tweaking, open the right program. But this has problems too. Not the least of which is that non-functional eject button. Jsut seems like awaste to not use it..... it's shouldn't take 2 mouse clicks and a 3 second wait to do something your PC already has a big shiny button for right up front.

Enter Transgamings WineX4.0 now known as cedega. When you install Cedega, it makes some system changes that allow that eject button to work even if you have say, a konq window open to /mnt/cdrom. Now you would think that this would be a problem, ejecting a mounted CD, but no. MAndrake10 is finaly smart enough to figure out the CD is gone and automaticaly unmounts it for you, ready for the next CD to be automaticaly like windows.

Praise the lord, we've finaly made it into the mid 1990's

lol

I downloaded Cedega yesterday, but I haven't installed it yet. This sounds fantastic, of course, being a Gentoo user this might take some doing to me.

I'm sure that the project giving Mandrake 10 this functionality is available for other distros? Anyone know what it is called?

I've tried supermount in Gentoo and a few other alternative projects - it's getting better all the time although manual mounting doesn't bother me too much...