? on Shutting down from KDE

eroica

:wall: hello,

Newbie to linux(using mandrake 9.1 for about 9mos). Anyway I had a quick question. When I goto shutdown I usually right click on Desktop(KDE) and it asks if i want 2 logout and then I goto halt screen and finally shutdown. But I've noticed about 1 time in 10 times a prompt pops up w/green dragon asking if I want to shutdown,reboot, or logout. This is something I would like to happen all the time but I'll be damned if I know what triggers the green dragon??? Is there some registry tweak (only kidding!!). But does anyone know how 2 get puff the magic dragon on shutdown????

alan

I think it's a two part solution. Go to MCC and look for the "Display Manager" section (I don't remember where it is in 9.1). Choose "KDM"

Then in KDE Control Center-Components-Session Manager, check "Confirm Logout" and choose whatever other options you want there. Changes will only take place after reboot.

The dragon is part of KDE desktop manager

yeah i followed the steps but still not getting puff the magic dragon when selecting logout on kde desktop right click. by the way it was set to mdkkdm in mcc. when i sellected kdm mandrake did a download of kdebase 3.1? what is the difference between mdkkdm & kdm? any other suggestions on getting the options presented by the dragon welcome

alan

Hi.

It has been a long time since I used mdk9.1 but as far as I remember, this would happend ever.

So I suggest to check if the same happends to all the users in the pc.

If is only you, you have a configuration problem that is not ever solve from graphical tools so you have to edit some conf. file into the .kde/ in your home. However it is not easy to know what file you have to edit, so the best is log from console (CTRL+ALT+F1) and remove your kde conf directory .kde/

then log in again to your account and let kde put the defaults.

If all the users have the same problem, it must be a update to mdk9.1 that corrects that bug. But better upgrade your system to mdk10 official (it is pretty good)

Good by

I get Konqi asking me to verify if I want to log off when I click shutdown in KDE. I have the dm service set to not start when I start my computer. You can do this with chkcofig at the terminal or using services in MCC or use (I think its called) XFdrake (whatever it is in MCC to control the X server) tell it not to start the display manager on startup. Then when I get the text logon and have logged on I use the command startx.

konqi-normal.png

thanx 4 the replys. I guess I could start w/disabling dm on startup but i dont want to boot into a console and have to then log on to X.(Too much work for an ex Windoze person). I should note that this problem is both on my laptop and the PC @ work both running identical 9.1 setups. There must be a setting 4 getting Konqi aka Puff...

alan

yes u are absolutely right but there has already been designed an elegant way to graphically give me a choice of what to do on shutdown and I would like to know it. I understand there is more then 1 way 2 skin a cat but i want to skin it this way. If a particular component does not work properly do we work around it or try 2 fix it. I thought this was one of the main differences between the windows and linux camps..

alan

What you need to do is to automatically start the dm on startup, but not auto login - in 10.0 you can disable auto login in mcc - click on the boot icon, and all will be revealed. Haven't got a 9.1 installation to try it on now, but is probably in there somewhere. You will have to log in to kde, but it will be a graphical log in.

Chris

u guys are the best! by disabling autologin (which by the way is in mcc bootup section in 9.1 as u postulated) i rebooted and there's konqi awaiting my command on shutdown. does anyone know why autologin has 2 be disabled? And now it makes sense why he would appear randomly. I didnt put 2 and 2 together that he was appearing when i was relogging in for some reason or another. I never realized the connection. well thanx for solving that mystery and thumbs up to everyone on this board. I'm glad i stumbled upon this forum for mandrake users. Maybe someone should work on getting this site indexed on google/linux. I've searched several times for forums on mandrake linux and this site was never in the 1st page or 2 where it definitaley belongs. thanx again i'll be baaaaack!!1

alan

Maybe someone should work on getting this site indexed on google/linux.  I've searched several times for forums on mandrake linux and this site was never in the 1st page or 2 where it definitaley belongs.

'mandrake' puts us on page 3 currently, but 'mandrake forum' puts us on the front page. B)

not 2 beat a dead horse but did a search in www.google.com/linux w/query:

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=U...G=Google+Search

and maybe i'm going blind but i gave up after 3rd page of output w/no mention of this very worthwhile site

The difference is that you were searching for 'forums' - so you found sites that referred to forums rather than an actual forum. :P

Thanks for the compliments though - it's members like you that make the board what it is... :thumbs:

a search for "mandrake linux" puts us on the first page (3rd link - excluding nested links)

"Mandrake Help" shows it on the first page (4th link)

"Mandrake Linux Help" shows it on the first page (3rd link - excluding nested links)

"Mandrake Forum" shows it on the first page (3rd link - excluding nested links)

"Mandrake Board" puts us right at the very tip-tip-tippity-top of the list

searching the string "forums on mandrake linux" puts us at #2 on the first page

shouldn't be -that- hard to find ;)

there are also search engine bots that go through our forum and kind of search it so that we get higher up when people search for specific issues.

edit: spinynorman is right, it is on the first page when searching "mandrake forum", i must of missed it!

Edited by tyme