How to setup the theme to use for Gnome apps while in KDE

Guest caslca

[EDIT] Ok, this time not so lame am I ? :D Anyways, thanks to bvc for pointing this out, I actually did my homework and here's the correct way to do this so that it stays like that until you change it [EDIT]

Background:

While in KDE many of us use Gnome apps but these apps don't have the look we want. And KDE is not smart enough yet to import our settings from Gnome, so we have to help it a little and tell KDE what theme to apply to Gnome apps.

Files:

~/.gtkrc-kde : this is the default file in KDE for settings for non-KDE apps. As bvc pointed out, this file gets recreated every time you log into KDE so any changes made here are not persistent.

~/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2 (your numbers may vary a little): this is the file that contains the theme settings for Gnome. it is very simple and contains a couple of include statements

~/.gtkrc : this is the file that you need to create so that kde will know to apply the settings described inside to Gnome apps.

What to do:

You have two options here: If you want KDE to apply the theme you normally use while in Gnome, do this:

Create the file .gtkrc in your home dir with this line in it:

include ".gtkrc-1.2-gnome2"

this will tell KDE to load your Gnome settings and use them for gnome apps.

The second option is to use an arbitrary theme. For this to work, you have to create the file .gtkrc in your home dir and add the following:

include "/usr/share/themes/YOURTHEMENAME/gtk/gtkrc"

I use the theme by Mandrake so here's my line:

include "/usr/share/themes/Mandrake/gtk/gtkrc"

Enjoy :)

Sorry all, i didn't reallize in 2am that kde actually overwrites those settings... I fixed the tip (thanks bvc)

oh and reapplying your theme settings with gnome-theme-properties every time through is not exactly what i had in mind. I wanted to describe how to make your changes stay even after you logout.

I wanted to describe how to make your changes stay even after you logout.
The way I found to do it is the second post here;

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=951

If anyone has a better idea, please share. I don't use kde. I figured it out because gtk2 and 1.2 on it's own and with kde seemed to be giving so many users a headache, and poor devel gets on my nerves :wink: Hope it helps!