DVD burner recommendations?

DOlson

I want to know what a good DVD burner is for Linux... I might be able to get one sometime soon, and the only one I've looked at seriously so far is the Pioneer DVR-107. It's an 8x DVD+/-RW and I can get it for about $125 Canadian.

Any experience and advice is appreciated.

I'm looking myself. Lite-Ons are suppose to be pretty good and very reasonably priced. Saw one on newegg.com the other day for $79(US) 8X DVD+/- RW. But now they're comming out with the dual layer DVD writers which nearly double the capacity. Don't know if that works in linux yet or how much the media are. But you should be able to copy a standard movie on the thing for backup.

I'm looking for one, too. I've done some research for a quiet one. Here is a summary of people comments that I've read so far (+ is a good, ++ is excellent, - is bad, -- is worse), only for the best drives in this ranking, and focused on sicence:

Lite-On 811S        + - + ++
Lite-On 815S        ++ +
Memorex Dual X1     ++
TDK indiDVD 880N    ++
I/O Magic DVD 8x    +

and it seems that Lite-On 851S OEM is the same as Lite-On 811S.

HTH,

Yves.

Just make sure you buy a drive that supports both +R/W and -R/W.

If you want to mod your drive (firmware) to support extra function such as Bitsetting or writing speed overclock, LiteOn writers are pretty good.

I have a thread discussing DVD+R writing here and you may want to check out more LiteOn related info with that:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83441

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=14376

So then for Linux, Liteon is a good choice?? I have a Liteon CD-RW drive, it's older, but it's worked a treat since day one.

I was thinking about Pioneer though, since they made my DVD-ROM, and Liteon's DVD-ROMs really REALLY blow. At least the ones circa about two years ago did.

Recently I asked the guys at my local LUG about the same question as the original post here. They basically told me any dvd burner works fine under linux. I'm not saying thats true, its just what they said. From what I've read around the web, I'd probably buy a lite-on 811S.

I have the Sony dual-format DRU-510 dvd burner in my win2k machine. I'm gonna put that in my FC2 machine and see what I can figure out to do with it.

I'll probably buy one of the new dual-layer burners, such as the Sony DRU-700, for my win2k machine.

All I use my win2k box for anymore is just backing up my dvd movies. Linux for everything else.

DOlson, keep us posted on what you get and what your experience with it is. I'm super-interested in burning DVDs under linux. I've done it tons of times under windoze, and its the only reason I still have a win2k box in my house.

how about the SOHW-1213S ? (liteon) http://www.liteon.com/prod/getProduct.do?c...2&menu_id=4_2_7 it doesnt mention linux and i cant find it in the hardware compatibility lists.

True, there's drive such as SONY DRU-700 with dual layer support,

and then there's LG GSA-4120B which supports DVD-RAM writing.

Now, however, I do not know how well Dual layer/DVD-RAM formats are supported under Linux. DVD+RW/-RW should be well supported though.

Of course, if price (of writer / media) is a matter, then you should evaluate your choices,

a 4X writer can burn a DVD+RW/-RW with 15 mins, 8X writer in half the time (depending on compatibility with the media). So it's really up to your needs.

how about the SOHW-1213S ? (liteon) http://www.liteon.com/prod/getProduct.do?c...2&menu_id=4_2_7 it doesnt mention linux and i cant find it in the hardware compatibility lists.

It probably does, but according to info and experience shown in this page, you may need to wait for a new version of dvd+rw-tools to support the latest/higher speed model:

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/hcn.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest algenon

Josk,

What type is your NEC DVD burner? I am looking for a Linux compatible one (currently have LG which is not supported under Linux at all). Does your NEC burn ok under Linux

Algenon.

The NEC ND-2500 DVD burner seems to be VERY highly rated by its users. It is said to be very reliable, and almost noiseless! And for a price I don't believe myself: 75 EURO or less!

I would actually buy it, but I'm still pondering if I want dual-layer or not. I don't know if linux can use dual-layer drives, but I would like that :)

There's also the Pioneer DVR-107D, which is said to be very silent, and for not much more: 90 EURO or so. Specs say it reads DVD-RAM (NEC doesn't do that). Its specs state that there's no fan inside, which would explain its silence. A user report linux compatibility (with k3b) with the DVR-107D.

And finally, there the NEC ND-2510 (IIRC), which is dual-layer (up to 8.5GB!). Is it compatible? Is it worth the price (100 EURO)?

Yves.

Thanks for the comments. I decided to put off the DVD-/+RW purchase, and instead I got a Yamaha mixer, so now my music will sound less like shit.