how to handle .rar files

papaschtroumpf

I have a lot of files in .rar format.

I think there is a rar package for linux but I also think it's a command line utility.

I would like to be able to open and browse the contents of my rar file files in KDE, just like I can do zip or tar.

It's OK if it doesn't fully integrate with Konqueror the way zip files are, I'm OK with opening a new app.

I know this used to work on a 9.x version of Mandrake, I think it used to ask me if I wanted to open the file with "file roller" or something like that.

I need to do more research but maybe it's something someone here knows the answer to.

urpmi unrar :)

From the commandline: unrar e XXXX.rar extracts the files

nope. "no package named unrar" (Mandrake 10 OE Powerpack).

That's the only thing I had tried.

Is the package an official mdk package now? I found some old notes and the reason it used to work was because I had downloaded an unrar package from plf.

I have had mixed luck with "alternative" rpm repositories (textar, plf, cooker, ...) they tend to mess up my installation and dependencies.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

found: http://mirrors.zoreil.com/www.plf.org/mand...0-2plf.i586.rpm on PLF.

If I download this and install it with urpmi, am I likey to screw things up? this package is only 2 weeks old and I'm not sure how to tell if it's stable and fully compatible with mdk10. All I know is that it's the unurar entry i the mdk10 directory of the plf mirror I looked at.

it's stable, you should have no problems installing with with urpmi. you could also use easy urpmi to add PLF to your sources so that you can just install it through software manager (along with some other nice PLF stuff ;) )

it's stable, you should have no problems installing with with urpmi. you could also use easy urpmi to add PLF to your sources so that you can just install it through software manager (along with some other nice PLF stuff ;) )

Yeah but that's how I think I ended messing my system up in the pat, I had contribs and plf in the list of media and think I must have accidentally picked up updates from there, but eventually everytime I installed something I got into dependency hell. Not really wanting to go there again.

I downloaded the rar package and installed it. Thanks for the help.

How do I add the plf key so that urpmi stops complaining about not being able to check the package?

OK, I'm almost there:

I added the rar package from plf.

When I double clicked on a rar file Konq asked me what app to use to open the file, so I chose Ark (and told Konqueror to remember that choice).

Ark complains that the file appears to be of type "application/x-rar-compressed" and that it's not a supported type format.

Ark however gives me the option to choose the archive type myself and if I select rar from the frop down list it can actually open the file.

How to I "teach" Ark that "application/x-rar-compressed" means "rar"?

• 1 year later...
Guest nicocam
OK, I'm almost there:

I added the rar package from plf.

When I double clicked on a rar file Konq asked me what app to use to open the file, so I chose Ark (and told Konqueror to remember that choice).

Ark complains that the file appears to be of type "application/x-rar-compressed" and that it's not a supported type format.

Ark however gives me the option to choose the archive type myself and if I select rar from the frop down list it can actually open the file.

How to I "teach" Ark that "application/x-rar-compressed" means "rar"?

I have the same problem, but even though i select Rar, it shows me the files, but wont unrar them, it unrars the folders inside the rar, but not the files, any help?

by the way i have Mandrake 2005 LE (not sure if it is the same as mandrake 10).

I have the same problem, but even though i select Rar, it shows me the files, but wont unrar them, it unrars the folders inside the rar, but not the files, any help?

by the way i have Mandrake 2005 LE (not sure if it is the same as mandrake 10).

Is the archive password protected? I think you will observe that behavior and Ark looks like it's decompressing but it then fails silently.