Documenting the Wizards

tyme

A while ago, Gowator, one of our more talkative board members ;) , suggested that we try to document how the wizards work since they seem to do things that no one understands.

This is not easy project, and will require knowledge of the language that Mandrake uses to write the wizards - I'm not exactly sure what it is. I would be willing to learn the language and to try to work with others to understand what is going on behind the scenes. We could use this to not only help other board members better, but possibly to suggest some changes to MandrakeSoft. Lots of good could come out of this, and I would like to push this idea that Gowator had.

To facilitate this process, I'm going to set up a group on Code Junkies for those who want to work on this project. You can contact me here so that I will add you to the group, so you can see the news and participate in the discussion within that group. We would then post progress reports here. I offer this to try to keep this forum less cluttered with replies to replies to replies etc.

That is, this would be a place to post progress reports, while Code Junkies would hold the discussion and so forth.

Who's with me?

I can't hear you!!

I said, WHO'S WITH ME??

NOT ME ! ... but you can't imagine how I wish to be we you. But I can't :(

For those who have some spare time and some programming knowledge: GO WITH TYME and Gowator !

That's a nice idea, seems a project not too big, helpfull for everybody and Mandrakesoft and good start to make yourself a name on Linux world. ;)

I can't help with time I don't have nor with money I don't have but I wish you good luck and success. :thumbs:

OK,

thats really a good start.....

Steve and tyme together sounds an awesome combination ....

I have a dream .... as the man said.... where all wizards ..blah blah (not to knock an awesome speech)

What I figure is someone has to do this, and I dont mean the Mandrake type documentation 'pressing connect will connect' style....

the logging is a big help and the langiage is perl whioch is well documented...

what would be cool is a script to be run before a noobie even tries a wizard esp. network ones that preserves the interfaces/firewalls etc. and has a de-wiz if they go wrong (as they often do)

now since these are mainly noobies we'll need an RPM ... so its awesome if tyme is onboard ... and steve and I pretty much scratch about the CLI network interface config...

streeter and fissy might help for the firewall ... although I guess I could finally read the damned IPTABLES documentation ..but the HOW-TO is 200+ pages...

Id find this really positive, not the negative feeling Ive been getting digging noobies out of failed wizards...

mainly because this is intense... when people loose the network they end in a catch-22...

IMHO the network wizards cause the most damage....

however bvc's URPMI poll also is a major annoyance...esp the no --noclean option from the GUI...

this can be done in urpmi.conf so a GUI tools to add remove options as per bvc's poll could be a continuation....

its relatively simple .... compared to the networking but more an annoyance then urgent. IMHO....

For those who have some spare time and some programming knowledge: GO WITH TYME and Gowator !

That's a nice idea, seems a project not too big, helpfull for everybody and Mandrakesoft and good start to make yourself a name on Linux world. ;)

I can't help with time I don't have nor with money I don't have but I wish you good luck and success. :thumbs:

What you mean you cant seel that car .....

So fat it looks like code documentation is in English.... and I can probably get through the French ;) if I persist.... but hopefully you could be on hand to at least write up the basics in French for us sometime in the future ?

things to do with no MDK 10 installed!

I can think of lots

I can post the perl code...

ideas should we aim for a code junkies modifed drak wizard or patches to the official one or whatever ?

also ideas on using locate etc. to find what is changed and how...

ideas on how to make a snapshot (pre-wiz) so that a noobie can use it and escape if it doesnt work...

scripts for example on the firewall ... how to get say the shorewall configs using a wget or similar and backup the MDK ones and replace them with this!

the idea is the wizards can mess up a system but a seasoned penguin can usually sort this out .... but the noobies cant so it needs to be nicely packaged and presented.

how about some design ideas ... something intergrating a codejunkies type look n feel with a wizard look and feel ?

I'm no guru, but I will do what I can - can spare a little time and have a spare machine to mess up...

Chris

thx,

I actually pm'd you as you were adding this.

This is the 80/20 rule which makes you a guru !

actually im pretty confident you are the best qualified to join yet on IPTABLES....

and yep you need a spare machine.... (or at least installation!) those wizards can be hell when they FUBAR!

That's a nice idea, seems a project not too big, helpfull for everybody and  Mandrakesoft and good start to make yourself a name on Linux world. ;)

I can't help with time I don't have nor with money I don't have but I wish you good luck and success.  :thumbs:

What you mean you cant seel that car .....

So fat it looks like code documentation is in English.... and I can probably get through the French ;) if I persist.... but hopefully you could be on hand to at least write up the basics in French for us sometime in the future ?

My problem is I can't have one day or even half a day doing only one thing. I know by experience that it's impossible to code one hour here, one hour there. The time you get concentrate, remember what you did before, even if it's well documented, you start do be productive and reliable after one or two hours. I you have to continue a project you stopped long ago it's even worse.

So, if you have some atomic things, one hours here, one houre there, and if my latency time is not a problem, ok I'm volonteer but I doubt that exist. Translation ? I'm afraid I'm not good enough. Well I can ask my wife :D , ok try me and lets see.

Edited by roland

I haven't started looking at the code yet myself...I've been busy with other projects that have a slight priority (sorry, g/f needs a website ;) ) but I'll get to this one ASAP. Gowator has been doing some work, but he just got his Progear and will probably be fooling with that for a while ;) . At this point it's mainly discussion and idea forming...

We have discussed the layout/design and possible ways of implementing a wizard to backup and restore system settings prior to modifying them with the wizards, but this is still in the works.

Hello !

I'm curious: how is it going ? does it started ?

Are you going to try to understand the code ? do you find the entry point for each wizard ? is the code comented in english ?

lot of questions :juggle:

actually its documented in English....

Ive taken a look as has streeter, man is it ugly....

but its alkso usable and the comments are quite good....