Write to SD Memory Card?

santner

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iph - your probably right but its worth a go mounting like that, especially read only ... since I have tried wrecking CF cards but never suceeded .... (well not deliberately but I have reformatted them etc.)

The format is like a disk as far as i know its completely independent of the media ??? i.e you can actually make a ext2 partition if you want but your camera will be expecting FAT16 or possibly 12 ....

Ive transferred stuff using my CF cards as tiny disks without regard to filesystems and the camera has gone haywire until the card was reformatted ... then it was fine...

Id say I have a 5% chance of the sda thing working and it might be a case of me putting it working for me a couple of times when sda1 didnt together with my early research on CF cards when they were all FAT12 ... but it isnt going to do any harm...

it will either mount or not ....

in other words my link between FAT12 and why you can mount sometimes as sda might be a complete crock... that is the two facts might be completely unrelated except I once thought AHA -- that must be why.... (and made a false connection)

when you get to 36 your head will be just as full of useless trivia and things you add 2+2 and made 5 ... :D

honest dont expect things to get clearer as you get older ...

brains work by making synaptic connections between associations .. and once you associate it seems like fact! Memory helps us unravel these if we remember why we mixed the two in the first place but even then its hard to break these already formed synaptic connections...

its like theyre commented out in the fstab but supermount keeps coming back and remaking them! AHHHHHHHH

AussieJohn... back me up on this mate :D

iph.... I think your right since fat12 only supports 16MB anyway but its always worth a go or it could be some hardware thing masking the partitions ...

Ive got some fancy 512MB USB key at work but its hardware encoded to have 2 partitions, one of which is 1.4MB !

In theory I should be able to repartition it but its not mine so I didnt try!

My OWN usbkey is ext2 ! Its got a persistant knoppix home amongst other stuff!

Also I ASSUMED the non partition thing was due to my first card being FAT12 (it was on an old PDA) ... (1MB) LOL I found out is was FAT12 and the card reader only let me have one partition....

so I assumed the two were related when they might not be!

I also found that vfat instead of specific types can help, again Im not sure why but mounting with -t vfat sometimes helps!

Just to close out the issue, I ordered a 'Lexar JumpDrive Trio USB Digital Card Reader/Writer EXTERNAL'. This is nice because with my SD memory card it will also double as a USB pen drive. Hopefully I won't have any issues using it, but if you have any advice to prepare me ahead of time for when I receive it let me know. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this one out on my own. I was having trouble reading/writing from my jumpdrive trio. Here is what I did.

rm -fr /dev/sda /dev/sda1

Then I plugged in the usb pen drive and saw that /dev/sda and /dev/sda1 were created for me.

ls -l /dev/sda

lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 33 Jul 9 01:21 /dev/sda -> scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

and

ls -l /dev/sda1/

lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 34 Jul 9 01:21 /dev/sda1 -> scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

Then I typed:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable

And FINALLY, it worked!! :D

All of the above assumes that the correct modules are loaded into the kernel. :headbang:

if you do the same for the camera does that work?

also is there a RAW/usb mass storage setting on the camera setup...

I found one on mine... well I knew it was there I just never registered the fact cos ..well whod wanna need propreitry SW to read a camera ...