Post your working 56k modem

LTD602

just tell me what isp you're using and I can probably help. my guess is that you're useing the wrong authentication protical. You should NOT be using script based with most ISP's. most of them work best with PAP/CHAP

hello there, I've been having Winmodem nightmares for the past month. after 4 kernel recompiles and a overheated hard drive, I still can't get it to work. A few more weeks and I'll buy an external one. :furious3:

My only problem with serial modems is the power cable, I have a terrible mess of cables already and I don't want to add to that. And if I get a Winmodem to work I'll have the satisfaction of turning M$'s weapon against itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using an external serial modem - Actiontec. Never given me trouble. This is the modem that AOL sends out to its customers. Got it off of Ebay. I used to use a Viking external modem and it worked great up until it died.

I have a good old Hayes 56K/v.90 serial modem, I want to use it to send some fax.

Will Mandrake detect its presence automatically?

Or I will need to manual configure something first?

Update Ok, I figured it out.

Just use KPPP. And find the right COM port.

Edited by zero0w

• 3 weeks later...