What program?

I am looking for a program that can run windows programs, and/or games. I know for winex it is not free. I am mainly looking for a free program that will allow me to run windows programs directly in linux, or a program that can boot my windows drive and provide a window that is actually running a windows desktop.

i am new to all of this, so i dont even no the difference between or even what an emulator is, or a program that is totally linux.

-thanks for the help!!

ok well i wanted to run itunes, for my ipod, and to organize my music

and "Command and Conquer Red Alert 2"; "Command and Conquer Red Alert "; "Command and Conquer "; "Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun"

these are all windows games, i know it would be easier to use winex, but i don not want to and cannot pay

then there are several Astronomy programs that i would like to run, e.g. CCDOPS, MaxIM DL, The Sky software, Meade Auto Star Suite for LX200GPS

and that there about covers it.... i do have windows already (several versions infact) so it would not be a problem if one of the solutions you provide requires windows to be installed, i also have ample harddrive space to install multiple copies of any opperating system, so space is also not an issue

As for the ipod, you might do a search on google for ipod and linux. There may be native software allready to get the job done.

For your cames, you realy only have three choices in my not so humble opinion, and i know this is the case from a lot of experience struggleing with windows games in linux.

1. Shell out the money for winex. I know, I've been a starving college student once too, but I can't imagine a person who can afford a computer and internet service but can't muster $15.00. This is the only reasonably effective option. And you should know, that 'something' very big is coming from transgaming (the makers of winex) on the 22nd of this month, just two days away. i don't know wht, but they've been emailing vague adds to member for a couple of weeks and there's an equaly ambiguous ad on their front page.

2. You second option is to dual boot. That is, if you didn't know, to have two or more opperating systems installed on different partitionas and bootloader that lets you choose wich to load. IMO, this is a totaly waste of time for home users and completely defeates the purpose. Especialy when you consider that you're not realy running the games in linux this way anyway. Now, if you want to test out a new distro but want access to the old one, it can be a great thing, but not for daily use.

3. Your only other option is to stop playing those games. Some people will tell you that some 3d games run in wine, but despite claims to the contrary, I've never seen a 3d game run in wine unless it was openGL and didn't need the d3d or directx libraries anyway. Wine is okay for direct sound and directx-2d, but any modern direct X game is only playable in windows or under winex.

i am not out of the house yet, will be next year though, i am a senior in HS and my dad will not let me spend the money for it (partly because he just bought the ipod for me.... and winex is just one more thing, and he does not like linux so, it shoots down my wishes ps, i am slowly converting him, it will take some time though

well see, i know there is this thing for windows, that will allow you to run a linux kernel in windows.... aka you have a virtual machine, kinda like remote desktop.... know what i am saying?

i would like to boot into linux, then have a program that allows me to run my windows drive and have a seperate window that is the windows desktop? do you under stand what i am trying to say, or am i being confusing? i cant think of any other way to explain it, sorry...

There is no free program that does what you want. Well, there is Bochs, but I've never successfully set it up.

Do a Google search for EasyUrpmi and set up a contribs source in urpmi, then urpmi bochs(there's also bochs-dlxlinux and bochs-tools that may or may not be needed to successfully set it up).

http://neuron.com/~jason/ipod.html

lots of usefull links

google has loads on setting up the iPod on linux

For those games you could try winex CVS. There is a FAQ if you take a quick look there.

Those astronomy programs might run in wine/x but they might not. You could get vmware and run them within that, although vmware is not free.

yes, i would like to try winex CVS, is there an FAQ on their website? or on this website, i went to the CVS tree, and ofcourse i did not unserstand a thing... what is CVS anyway

Seriously, DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE CVS OF WINEX!!!!!!!!

Let me explain why. When you subsrcibe to Transgaming.com, you are allowed to download pre-compiled and packaged versions of winex that are easy to install and automaticaly configure themselves. But, more importantly, they contain proprietary closed source dll's that the cvs version does not contain.

What do these extra dll's do? you ask. Well, first of all, they are responsible for dealing with copy protected CD's. Most of which will not function in the CVS version. Also, much of the 3d translation from directX to linux is handled by the extra dll's, and also installshield.

Basicaly, the CVS version is crippled beyond al usefullness IMO.

Look, it's only $15.00. Why not just try it?

well i think that it would be a waste if i have several copies of window that i have already bought, why waste $15 when i could just boot to my win partition, that is the reason i am looking for a free thing, is there a way to update the .dll s that wine is using by telling it to use the ones from my windows installation?