can't make internet (ADSL) settings stick.........

chris z

hey all,

i finally got around to installing MDK10.0 (better late then never, eh?) everything is working fine except for one nagging issue. everytime i boot into it i have to run DrakConnect (or now as it's called, MCC->network & internet->make new connection) in order to connect to the internet. all my IP settings are always present & saved in there, but i just can't connect unless i run this first. my normal connection method is to run adsl-start from cli. if i try that before running DrakConnect, it just gives me a timeout message & doesn't connect. if i run DrakConnect first then issue the adsl-start command, it connects fine. i get no errors. it just tries to connect for several seconds, then "TIMED OUT". i've tried setting it to connect on boot, but the same things happens during boot............"TIMED OUT". has anybody else encountered this & is there a fix? oh, i have a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 card on eth0. there is something fishy that i do notice. when i look at the "manage connections" module in MCC, it shows "adsl" as default "device selected" but i can also change it to eth0 where it shows my Linksys card. should it show adsl & the card or should it be just one device listing be in there?

any help will be much appreciated. if you need me to post any more info, please let me know.

Chris

Edited by chris z

just a bump up. also, i edited my original post. after a bit of research i realized that ADMtek makes the Linksys card so it's not detecting my onboard card, it's seeing the correct one. still no luck here figuring out why the settings don't stick. :juggle:

Chris

thanks for the reply, anna. i thought i might have set a record for views with no replies before you chimed in. :P

no, harddrake isn't the problem, even though it was a good thought. my eth0 card is detected on boot without any errors. the network comes up on boot & so does loopback. that's the perplexing part. everything that should, loads at boot without an error. if i had an error message, then at least it would point me to the proper location to look for something wrong. i played a bit with some config & script files in /etc last night, to no avail, so i'm still stuck here.

thanks again, though........

Chris

aight chrisz, let me step on in here...

have you tried setting a hostname to see if that helps any? Have you gotten all the updates?

Mandrake 10.0 is weird about networking. Some things you never expected to fix a problem will fix the problem.

echo <yourhost> > /etc/hostname

echo <yourdomain> /etc/dnsdomainname

you could just set it manually using

pppoe-conf (or pppoeconf, use tab completion :D) which should be installed when you selected the wizards ... (indeed everytime you selected them in 9.2)

this is what drak connect is running but for some reason not saving..

youlll need your connection details _before_running_

tyme.........

i have all updates applied/installed. my hostname has been "default" (without) quotes since day one & still is, so that hasn't changed.

gowator..........

i have no idea what you mean by......

echo <yourhost> > /etc/hostname

echo <yourdomain> /etc/dnsdomainname

will that give me info of some sort? and, could you explin what pppoeconf is/does? nevr heard of it nor used it.

in the mean time, i'm gonna compare some /etc files form my 9.2 to the 10.0 stuff to see if i can find a difference somewhere.

Chris

the echo will set your hostnane and domainname to whatever you put in the <>

pppoe-conf is the tool the 9.2 wizard uses (badly) to set up network settings for DSL

it seems to have been removed from MDK10 but linuxconf-pppoeconf still exists...

however if you have run the network wizards theres a good chance they have messed up networking beyond real tools like linuxconfs ability to fix easily.

if you have your old 9.2 backup then you need to look in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

like obviously use your usernqme and password

# Secrets for authentication using PAP

# client server secret IP addresses

'username' * 'password' *

all in all your ppp dir should have the following:

[root@pc-00231 ppp]# ls
chap-secrets         ip-down*          ip-up.d/        options      pppoe.conf            resolv.conf
connect-errors       ip-down.d/        ip-up.ipv6to4*  pap-secrets  pppoe.connect*
firewall-masq        ip-down.ipv6to4*  ipv6-down*      peers/       pppoe.disconnect*
firewall-standalone  ip-up*            ipv6-up*        plugins/     pppoe-server-options

pppoe conf writes these files, sets em up using rp-pppoe and optionally starts when you boot.

it might be better to use the Redhat pppoe stuff becuase mandrakes is too messed up and hit and miss...

try rpmfind.net

its one instance when urpmi isnt the best option since mandrake 9.2+ specifically is not compatible with linuxconf the standard tool ...

just to let anyone who cares know, i solved this one, albeit with a dirty sort of hack..............

after screwing around with config files 'til my eyes were buggy & using various MCC internet tools ad naseum, i finally decided to try another "upgrade", this time just upgrading 10.0 on top of the current 10.0. after all was said & done, i rebooted, reinstalled my nvidia drivers, typed adsl-start from terminal in KDE & wala! problem gone! so, the cure to this ailment is simply boot from the install CD & choose "upgrade"........... again.

oh...........one thing that may have made a difference this time around. during the initial upgrade from 9.2, when it came to the final config screen, i didn't bother checking the internet config settings. it didn't show an error & i was neglect in checking if all was ok there. this time, even though it wasn't showing an error again, i did check. i found all my settings were still intact "except" for where my provider name belonged. that was blank. now if that was the case the first time around & the cause of this, i don't know. but, better safe than sorry, eh?

hope this might help anybody else that should run into this problem.

thanks for the help you offered Gowator. i appreciate it.

Chris

If you make a copy of the ppp directory you should have something you can use later if another upgrade goes haywire.

tar cvfPpz /root/ppp-directory.tar /etc/ppp/

(create preserving permissions and abolute paths and use gzip compression)

this means you can extract preserving permissions and it will go back where it was or if you dont it will be from the directory your in.

Murphy's law says if you back this up youll never have a problem with it again. :D