SUSE 9.1 Personal ISO Available for Free Download

zero0w

Departing from its past practice of not providing ISO images for free download, SUSE has released a complete, bootable, and installable ISO image of SUSE LINUX 9.1 Personal:

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=7425

Note: This is not the same as those unofficial ISO from any kind of P2P network, which is not endorsed by SuSE at all.

The GPL license requires free distribution of source code, not the binaries; so it is not clear what's the status those unofficial ISOs inherit currently. However FTP install is always available as an alternative to SuSE.

ya know, i hadnt read anything about this, but i had seen this on the ftp servers. naturally knowing suse's policies, i was a bit confused. the server i typically go to is ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub and the 9.1 personal iso is there. it is only one iso.

:lol:

[root@localhost share]# wget ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1-personal-iso/SUSE-9.1-personal-x86.iso
--10:48:19--  ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1-personal-iso/SUSE-9.1-personal-x86.iso
          => `SUSE-9.1-personal-x86.iso'
Resolving ftp.suse.com... 195.135.221.132
Connecting to ftp.suse.com[195.135.221.132]:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /pub/suse/i386/9.1-personal-iso ... done.
==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR SUSE-9.1-personal-x86.iso ... done.
Length: 734,101,504 (unauthoritative)

0% [                                                               ] 2,112,632     11.74K/s ETA 10:58:26

:unsure:

everyone and their dog is downloading this :lol: .....I've also heard suse limits the bandwidth.

:thumbs:

thanx steve. i do seem to be getting faster speeds. ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/linux/suse/i386/9.1-personal-iso/

carroll get's loaded up a lot. She doesn't seem to be an official mirror for anyone, but she only normally allows 75 FTP users (even lower during business hours) and like 25 http. So, she gets filled easily, and doesn't let anyone else in.

from my minimal experience with suse I'd say all you'll get is the sys+kde.

BTW, I just did my first actual ML-10-OE install.......all the others were betas or CE....I d/k what everyone is complaining about....everything works for me :zzz: .....execpt xp, but that's PM8/Win98/and the end users fault.

Oh, I'm OT :jester:

Edited by bvc

Guest tbfirefox

This sounds interesting, I wanted to buy SUSE 9.1 a while ago, but I didnt know if it would be worth it, and before I only had a live cd to test it on. Just a few questions about this edition: Does it have ltmodem drivers included, and does it include the web plugins?

Thanks