mdk 10 can not see dvd burner

baptiste

I'll try:

If it were me, I would be *sure* it was a hardware problem. It's probably getting set up in XP and Man10 as DMA (or whatever), and not in 9.2, so it's working OK only in 9.2.

Bad drive, bad motherboard, or bad cable. Heck, maybe even bad ram (a long shot but it *does* happen!). Your choice as to which to swap out first. Cable is cheapest and easiest to try first.

I've had more problems like you are explaining than I can remember. It always turned out to be hardware. I think you're wasting your time with software fixes. Maybe they can make it work for a while, but it's only going to get worse.

Naturally, YMMV

-- io333

HI io333,

sounds possible, ( i know nothing about bios stuff).

can dma be set in the bios (not at my machine at the moment), would that help?

Stuff like disk access, AFAIK, is pretty low level interaction between the motherboard drivers in the OS, and the bios, but is usually handled by the overlying OS. What I meant was that the type of access that the operating system is attempting in 10.0 and XP is probably stressing the hardware harder and that's when you see everything falling apart. In Linux, you can play around at the command line with "hdparm" to change just about everything (risky though), but again, it's not going to fix the underlying problem. Can't you just go and get a new 80 pin IDE cable somewhere today?

i'm guessing wellst is your current user. so if you try to burn as that user it should work. I'm officially stumped. k3b should work after running k3bsetup. i think something wrong with either a) a jumper setting is wrong or B) the cdrom/cdrom wire thingy is messed up :unsure: :wacko:

I have discovered that I can use the eject button on the drive itself, and it all works fine, but if i use the button on the case, it opens, but the drive will not close using this button, this seems to confuse mdk, as is sometimes reported when I shutdown, I then lose the drive and get the problems described above.

xp did not have this problem before I installed mdk10, and neither did mdk 9. I suppose that this is probably a pretty specific case/OS problem, but if anyone has any suggestions?

Many thanks to all who answered.

Edited by baptiste