baptiste

MSI Barebones 651

P4 2.8

NEC 2500a dvd burner

O/S triple boot:

Win XP SP1

Mandrake 9.2

Mandrake 10

Mandrake 10 will not see my dvd drive. Initially I installed mdk 10 alongside winXP as a dual boot machine, when I booted into mdk 10 sometimes it would see my dvd drive sometimes it wouldn't, but the wierd thing was it seemed to affect winXP too, which sometimes also would not see the dvd drive, and sometimes it would see it as a cd drive only!

Previously I had dual boot with winXP and mdk 9.2, this worked fine, so I rolled back to this version, and installed mkd 10 alongside, now winxp, mdk 9.2, and mdk 10 are ALL having problems seeing my dvd!!!!!!!!!

How can mdk 10 mess it up for all systems, what can I do?

If you do not have any answer to this, an alternative would be for me to use only mdk 9.2, but I need dvd burning, so I would like to update my k3b, this has been very difficult due to dependancies, it seems that maybe the whole of kde needs updating, can someone send some instructions on this please?

Many thnaks.

Coincidence?

Have you tried reseating all the connectors to the DVD drive?

Or perhaps your drive/cable is faulty? - Any chance of trying it out on another system or with different cables?

For updating, go along to www.urpmi.org and click on the easyurpmi link.

Follow the instructions there, and then use mandrake update from the start menu.

Chris

Interestingly, my MDK 10.0 CE Powerpack sees my NEC ND-2500A just fine. I am using the 2.6 kernel (nforce2/nvidia enterprise). Gigabyte GA-7N400-L mobo, Athlon XP 2500+, 1 GB DDR333, nvidia card.

Thanks for replying.

I have kind of ruled out coincidence; uninstalling 10 and reinstalling 9.2 seemed to fix the problems.

Possibly hardware; I tried reseating the connectors, but this did not help, it may be the drive itself, but it doese work OK on XP, with just 9.2 or 10 installed.

One thing that did occur to me were the boot params set up by Lilo, but I know nothing about these, could someone point me to some help/offer some?

Or maybe the fact that 9 uses scsi emulation and 10 doesn't?

Sarissi, I have a cover disk for mdk 10 ce, can you tell me what is the powerpack that you mention all about?

Hi illogic-al

I have hdd=ide-scsi in the mdk 9 params, but 10 doesn't use the scsi frig does it, so i presume that this wouldn't make sense for booting up 10?

Hi SK_pt,

I have upgraded my bios, but there is another upgrade I will try tonight.

I have removed 10 once again, and run the config tool on 9, and guess what, my dvd/cd drive works fine again!!!!!!

I think reduces the likelihood of it being a hardware problem, or coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got hdd= on mdk 10, I have:

devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent

I have now got just XP and mdk 10, and I have tried the bios update, but I am again having problems in both XP and mdk 10, I think this points very strongly to mdk 10 causing the problems.

Can anyone tell me, is it possible for something to be getting set in the dvd firmware or the bios (something like this must be happening for the problems to happen after a reboot across OS's)?

When XP and Mandrake are not connected, I cannot see how Mandrake having a problem can cause a problem in XP. It is likely an irq problem perhaps because you maybe have NOT disabled Plug &Play in the BIOS. Check that point first because that causes more problems than it is worth.

Please let us know the results from this then we can proceed on other possible points.

Cheers. John.

Hi,

I have disabled P&P, but no difference.

mdk now refuses to see the dvd drive at all (this happend before the p&p change).

In mdk I can press the eject button on the box and the drive ejects, but it then ignores all presses, i.e. it will not close, I have to close it but using the button on the drive itself. This seems to confuse mdk, I viewed the extended info when rebooting, and sometimes it reports that the drive appears confused, other times it has problems unmounting as it thinks the drive is busy.

I then have problems in XP also, this did not happen when I had mdk 9.2 and I have rolled back and the problems have dissapeared, it sounds mad but there you go, maybe the drive gets into some kind of state that xp can deal with but mdk has problems with?

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e...4-Apr/0361.html

That link is a post of someone using the same burner that worked with mdk 10 but not SUSE so the problem is not likely to be one with mdk.

What you should so is set the DVD burner to Master (NOT cable select) using the jumpers on the back, and set any other CD drive to slave or vice versa. As long as both aren't the same thing you should be fine. I usually set my burners as Masters.

also check the permissions on the /dev/hdX link where X is the letter corresponding to the DVD burner device.

ll /dev/hdX

this should be a link and point to another device.

then find out the permissions of that device and paste it in here

ll /dev/whatever/the/link/was

chances are only root is being allowed access to the drives for burning.

The easiest way to test this out is to just try burning as root.

Hi,

I did not have a problem with mdk 9.1 or 9.2, I even rolled back to 9.2, twice, and the problems disappeared, on xp too, this seems to point to a problem with mdk 10, and my cd drive, I say 'seems' as I cannot see any other conclusion; three separate times I had mdk 10 installed, three times I had problems seeing my drive, in both xp and mdk, take mdk 10 away, the problem goes!

I have no idea what is happening, I'm just trying to describe the problems.

I'm pretty sure that all users have access to the burner, but burning is not the problem yet, I can't even see the drive now! (even as root).

Another thing is that it just hangs when I try to explicitly mount it.

I've give the jumper settting a go tonight, thanks.

I could see it originally, but after having 'lost' the drive after boot up several times, it's not there at all now.

I have only one dvd-cd drive btw.

Many thanks for the help.

/etc/fstab:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda10 /archive ext3 defaults 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda9 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0

/dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/removable2 auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda8 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/etc/lilo.conf:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

boot=/dev/hda

default="windows"

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=ht"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda6

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe acpi=ht devfs=nomount"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda