Problem installing 9.2 on xp system

fiery

I tried loading 9.2 on windows xp dell,120 gb hard drive,2gig processor,256 memory.I get to the point where it starts deleting the drive then it just sits there and says looking for updates.so i tried to reboot and it says that it cant load the os or cant find the hard drives and i cant remove cd1.

Welcome to the board!

Do you mean it reaches the point where it is looking for packages? Does it successfully partition the drive?

At the splash screen, hit F1 and type "expert noapic". See if that helps. Are you going to dual boot, or are you reformatting the entire drive?

reinstall and don't let it do the updates. Sometimes it hangs on that last part. For me its never found any to install and I have to do the updates right after installing anyways. It seems that Mandrake can't find its own update sites the right way.

reformat the entire hd.i cant get to any screens.it looks like my cdrom is shot.It is a hitachi cdrom.Is that the one that can get damaged by mdk 9.2?

The cdrom does not function after you reset the computer?

i had to replace the cdrom.i guess it damaged it.I heard that this could happen but I didnt remember if it was with the hitachi cdrom.It installed fine after i replaced the cdrom.Thanks also for the tip about not doing the updates.