Screen Resolution bug?

bcre8iv

Hi!

When I try to set my screen resolution to 1280 x 1024, it ends up setting it at 1280 x 960. I can set it at any other resolution that it lists, including the one above 1280 x 1024, but for some reason when I select 1280 x 1024 it goes to 1280 x 960. If it makes a difference, when my resolution is 1280 x 960 and I select 1280 x 1024, it doesn't even tell me to log off and back on like it does when you change resolutions. Does anybody know what is happening? Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks,

Eric

PS I'm running 10.0 Official.

Edited by bcre8iv

It happens with me also. Whenever I try to change screen resolution via GUI way (MCC) I have the same problem. Doesn't matter how many times you go there and change the resolution, it's stuck at 1280x980.

But going through my XF86Config-4 I could see:

Section "Screen" 
   Identifier "screen1" 
   Device "device1" 
   Monitor "monitor1" 
   DefaultColorDepth 24 

Subsection "Display" 
       Depth 8 
       Virtual 1280 1024 
   EndSubsection 

Subsection "Display" 
       Depth 15 
       Virtual 1280 1024 
   EndSubsection 

Subsection "Display" 
       Depth 16 
       Virtual 1280 1024 
   EndSubsection 

Subsection "Display" 
       Depth 24 
       Virtual 1280 1024 
   EndSubsection 
EndSection

For me, it' s quite difficult to recognize the screen resolution better than 1024x768, but whenever I open my wallpapers with gimp and go to resize it, the default size that appears there is 1280x1024, so I believe that what I have in XF86Config is correct.

Another very strange issue is that whenever I log on windoze I have to "adjust" the screen size using the automatic adjustment button of my display, otherwise wallpapers, icons... don't fit well in the screen. The same also have to be done during linux booting process.

Edited by william

I have 1280x1024

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "screen1"
   Device "device1"
   Monitor "monitor1"
   DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 8
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 15
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 16
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 24
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection
EndSection

but I did have the same prob in SuSE9Pro with the same as above. When I stopped using the gui tools and edited the file myself and ditched the Virtual crap it worked.

SubSection "Display"
 Depth  16
 Modes  "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
 Depth  24
 Modes  "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

Will the GUI report the correct resolution after I do this? I changed the file, then through the GUI I selected 1280x1024. The GUI still reports 1280x960, but the screen looks like it went up to 1280x1024 so far. I don't really know a way to test it for sure, so it could very well be my wishful thinking.

If your running kde, you can try running a nice utility called krandtray:

$ krandtray

It allows you to change screen resolution on the fly, among other things. I believe you have to have the kde utilities packages installed as krandtray is part of that package IIRC. Krandtray will put a little screen icon on your system tray next to the clock. Click on that icon and all available resolutions will be dispayed as well as refresh rates.

Re how to tell your true screen resolution, the first place I'd check is your monitor OSD(on screen display); most decent monitors have some kind of OSD with many functions allowing for adjustments of the picture and most have an "Info" option which will tell you what resolution your monitor thinks it's running at.

I had never noticed the resolution in the OSD. When I looked at that, it shows 1280x1024, even though the GUI tool still reports 1280x960. I took bvc's advice and changed the file myself, and that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks!

Eric

Edited by bcre8iv