10.0 Screen resolution trouble

Guest justletmein

Guest justletmein

Works great on my Latitude C400, but on a factory Optiplex GX260 all resolution settings from 640x480 on up are way too big for the monitor (Dell 17") and I have to push the screen around with the mouse to see the edges. It did the same thing with a Dell 17" flatpanel monitor. Is there a known issue I'm missing? I've searched all over google groups and this site as well. It should be the Intel 845G integrated video.

Most X applications take the X server's DPI value to pick a font size. Unfortunately, at 1024x768 resolution and like 2048x1024 desktop size, this means that all (well, most) applications will double their font sizes.

This is due to the DPI value calculated from the desktop size rather than the resolution. A way to bypass this is to pass -dpi 96 to the X server when starting. (96 might not actually be the real DPI, but Windows (grr!) uses 96 for "good readable fonts, not to small not to large", and so one should use -dpi 96.)

Guest justletmein

Sorry for my belated reply, I didn't return to work until today so could not get "hands on" to the machine.

papaschtroumpf: I tried both in mdk control center\hardware\Screen Resolution and in mdk-cc\hardware\graphical server. Neither settings work properly, same old problem. How would I go about changing the size of the desktop? Sounds like this may be the setting I need to change, but cannot find the option.

Hirogen2: I'll give that a shot right now.

EDIT: Looks like it did not work. Anybody have an other ideas? This is an Intel 845 graphics card and a standard Dell 17" monitor P780.

Edited by justletmein

Guest justletmein

Sorry for the repeated posting. I just found a resolution that worked for me and wanted to post it for future reference. Here's what I found elsewhere:

I got same problem and spent for 3 days to read all topics of this but did not resolve. Mine is Dell 2400 with 845GV. Bios A00. Redhat 9.0. I suddenly resolved the problem by a very sample way: Go to Bios setup, change the on board video memory from

1M to 8M.

Apparently 1M is the standard video buffer on the Intel 845 for many of the Dell systems, changing it to 8M fixed my problem.