VNC Problems

FX

Im trying to setup VNC so I can just see the "normal" desktop and not the "Xterm" desktop. Now I know the coding and I have it saved for the "x-sessions" or "xstartup", but I don't get that file to tweak. I get the "xstartup" excutable or application, but no file to tweak it for the "normal desktop" look.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks ahead of time.

FX

you can try x0rfbserver (or rpmdrake which is a gui on top of x0rfbserver)

you should then be able to connect to it with the VNC client at port 5901

Also, if you install the kdenetowork-krfb package you should be able to use the KDE control panel -> Remote desktop option to setup a server that you can also connect to with a VNC client, but at port 5900

The 2nd solution is better (better compression, x0rfbserver is the ancestor of the krfb package) but I can;t get it to work on my machine because the server tries to resolve its DNS address and it's a non-routable address, but you might have more luck.

I can connect fine. Its the getting the "normal desktop" that I cannot get. I don't get the "xstartup" config file to change the settings so when I connect to the other pc I don't have the Xterm desktop, but the normal desktop that, that machine is running.

I am also running Slack.

FX

the problem is that by default VNC sets up the xstartup script so that it runs some light windows manager (like twm, blackbox, etc). Just edit that xstartup script, and change the line for startin the light wm, with what you want.

For example, here's a default VNC ~/.vnc/xstartup file..

#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

Now here's what I would want it to be for getting VNC to use GNOME....

#!/bin/sh

gnome-session

For KDE, you'd choose...

#!/bin/sh

startkde

I guess HJ and I understood "normal desktop" as meaning two different things.

If normal desktop means "a new instance of KDE or Gnome", then follow HJ's instructions. This will still open a "new" display and you won't see any windows that were open on the "physical" desktop (aka X display 0), you will get a brand new empty instance of KDE, gnome or whatever...

If normal desktop means "what someone sitting in front of the machine sees before I connect" (ala PC Anywhere or XP Remote desktop) then I don;t think the VNC server supports it (it does on Windows but not on Linux). If this is what you want I believe you will need to run x0rfbserver/rfbdrake or krfb (KDE remote desktop).

The VNC client is the same either way, but the VNC server doesn't give you access to the "real" desktop under linux as far as I know without using one of the servers I mentionned.

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Yes VNC supports "real" desktops on either Linux or Windows, and HJ hit the nail on the head. One problem I don't have that starup script to edit. I have the excutable startup, but not the actuall script to edit. I have done it a number of times before but for some reason this time I am not getting the editable script file.

once again, please define "real".

Does VNC let you do this:

- sitting at your computer (computer A) open an application in kde, for example konqueror and navigate to google and do a search

- now go to a different computer (computer B), fire up the VNC client and connect to computer A, do you see the google search you did on computer A?

To the best on my knowledge VNC doesn't work like this on Linux, so I'm trying to understand if I'm wrong about it. Even the RealVNC page poitns you to x0rfbserver.

I don't think its that real. lol I know that when I ran VNC I could log into my server and the same exact desktop that was on there would show up in VNC. I've never tried having windows open and then logging in. I do know that I can run the server from VNC just like as if I was working on it itself. If that make sense.

FX

I think you want to do something like pcAnywhere, right?

I believe you must specify screen 0 when you VNC into your Linux box. I can't remember how it's done, but try the VNC docs or google it with screen 0 in the search criteria. Sorry I can't be more helpful - it's been a while.

Edited by somedude

Guest Avitar

:wall:

Where is this magical 'setup' file for vnc located.

I am having a horrible time getting VNC to work the way i want. Basically the last sys admin for this computer made a shortcut to

/usr/X11R6/bin/rfbdrake

that launches a gui ... then i can access everything ok remotely via vnc.

The problems are:

-<> It cant be run via command line, i tried via ssh and it game me a horrible message.

-<> It doesnt start on boot up.

-<> When a VNC session crashes, (which happens from scrolling my mouse often) it crashes the daemon.

I was thinking of setting up a service or cron tab to help, but like i said i no idea how to do this.

Sorry i am a Linux noob. :help: My real expertise is web dev, not sys admin :oops:

TY

If you're running KDE, go in the KDE control panel (not the mansrake control panel), I think it's under System->Configuration->configure my desktop

under networking you should see "remote desktop", if you don't you need to install kdenetork-krfb (using the mandrake control center or simple urpmi kdenetwork-krfb

If you installed it I think you need to resatr KDE (not sure)

you should now have the remote control configuration available in the KDE control panel. Set it up the way you want (in my case I don't want the controlled side to have to send an invitation or even confirm that it accepts the connection), set the password, etc... it's basically the same info as setting up an rfbdrake server.

You should now be able to connect to that machine from a VNC client (port 5900 by default).

Note that there seems to be a bug in the server that prevents you to connect from a machine on the same LAN under some cinfigurations. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

If this doesn't work, you can use x0rfbserver,which is the ancestor to both rfbdrake and krfb (actually I'm pretty sure rfbdrake is simply a front-end to x0rfbserver). All you should have to do is type x0rfbserver at the command line and it will show you a tiny window showing that it's running.

from an SSH shell, you can start the x0rfbserver (if a previous instance crashed for example, or if you don;t want the server to be running all the time), simply type DISPLAY=:0 x0rfbserver

Note that x0rfbserver appears to use port 5901 on my machine.

Also note that x0rfbserver doesn't have fancy compression so it tends to be slower than krfb, but if you were using rfbdrake already, then you are probably already using x0rfbserver behind the scene.

Hope this helps.