Installation

Guest timboellis

Guest timboellis

Just a quick few questions, as I am now ready to go over to Linux for the fisrt time I cannot be bothered with dual botting other than testing

I have been through about 15 differenct distros including Lindows and LYcoris and Suse and then mainstream one and settled on Mandrake for 1 it does not charge silly prices and to install software you do not have to pay for it and back it up.

1.Short of it all am i right in choosing mandrake for my fitst linux system?

2.Also I have an nvidia GeForce 256m 2500 XT that does not work in a single linux distro so have purchased a ATI 7000 I thing a bog standard card 64 meg, if I install the OS and then put the card in next week will the OS recognise the new card or will it need to be a new install?

3.Once I have my system up and running installed flash, java and the like all the usul programs is there a way I can image the setup on DVD or CDRW I have both so next time i do an istall i donot have to go through installing everything.

4.Is it worth signing up with the club.

5.is the free download the same as the members one, or one you buy in the shop that is version 10

Finaly Thanks

Just let me put windows out of the window

Well I can answer you properly that your first linux system is really up to you. But Mandrake is great for coming to grips with the entire linux way of life hehe.

As for the rest of your questions, that is a nice graphics card! I hope youre gonna use it somewhere!

Im sure there would be linux system imaging software out there somewhere, maybe someone else can suggest a program? :)

I personally dont think it's worth signing up with the club, but that might have something to do with my constant distro switching. Just check out the privileges, if it's tech support youre after, all linux users are happy to help each other, hell, thats why this forum is here right? :D

I just switched to Mandrake 10 OE two weeks ago from XP.

Doing the Mandrake install was extremely easy. Much easier and user friendly than the XP install. I was worried about partitioning my hard drive and considering buying Partition Magic, but then decided not to.

The Mandrake partitionier was amazing! :thumbs: I can't tell you how worried I was to get that set up.

Then booting up Mandrake for the first time wasn't that hard. I had a hard time figuring out the difference between "Configure your Desktop" and "Configure your Computer" but thats me.

Keep in mind though, its still only Linux. I really miss the instant "Plug n Play" that Windows had. I'm currently trying to configure my wireless network card and get my graphic card to function correctly (Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro)

I think there's a program called "KWrite" that does image burning. If that doesn't, theres like 4 others to choose from. :jester:

Guest timboellis

Well thansk for that well I am on XP but looking to dump it completely.

But as I have ADSL through a network no problems with installing USB / PCI modems.

and my camera and scanner and printer get recognised all o.k

I have tried all my word docs and xls all working

My ownly downfall is my graphics card and will have to go as I cannot get it to work and nether cabn a lot of people but as I do not do much in the way of games ....what the hell !!!!!!! so just bought a ATI 7000 very generic so shoudl work O.K

But have you tired all the other distros ie Lycris and Lindows.

However the only good thing i like about these is the click and run things they have so no konsole and this is the bit that gets to me every time

what package to download

how to do it

where to put it

is there some sort of software that would automate this at all

As I do not want to go to Lindows or the like becuase you have to pay £60 odd for these and then you think to yourself buy a OEM XP and it's the same price so whatsa the piont.

I never used the community one, and went straight to the official. So it may be different:

Download the ISO images from the website... I got mine through BitTorrent which gave me 500kbps :headbang:

Then burn them to a CD as an image. Not a bootable disk, but an image. I used Nero to do that. I don't think the WindowsXP burner can make images.

Then, pop your CD into your drive and power down. Start up and it should show you an install screen.

Everything is pretty easy from there.

A couple things. First Kwrite is NOT and imaging program. It's just a text editor, similar to wordpad.

If you are talking about cd burning you can look into k3b. There is another program I used to use called eroaster. But the setup in Mandrake 10 looks for the old 2.4 kernel info. The new 2.6 kernel (default) sets stuff up different rendering the included eroaster unusable. But k3b is great too.

Another note: if you have a choice, use an nvidia chip graphics card. Nvidia works fully with linux and has drivers. ATI is kind of dragging their feet.

Yes, in the world of linux anything ati is anything but generic.....nvidia is the way to go imo.

There is Software Management in the Mandrake Control Center. It is more powerful from the commandline and is called urpmi, urpmf, urpmq, urpmi.update etc...

MandrakeUpdate

drakrpm

drakrpm-edit-media

drakrpm-remove

drakrpm-update

edit-urpm-sources.pl

gurpmi.addmedia

rpmdrake

rpmdrake-remove

these all search, update, add and remove software and then some ;)

As for updates that are easy. Mandrake has URPMI from the commandline. Its VERY VERY easy to do and setup. with the right sources setup its as easy as 'click and run'. Though 'click and run' might have a few more apps i have found they are not the better ones out there. You can have 40 imaging apps on your system but you'll find you only use one or two.

My own two cents.

My first experience has been MDK 10, I am amazed how smooth this has all been. And I've learned more from the people on this board than anywhere else. Keep in mind this is a FREE OS so complaining about bad support will create more enemies than friends. Most of what we use is developed over many hours by people who are not getting paid. And still they turn out a proffessional level product.

If you plan to do any gaming, use Win32. The little Linux support for gaming I've seen is archaic. Wine and XWine are good concepts but are not very far in development (regarding gaming), Wine is great for most other applications. This is not knocking their work; however, you won't load up Tribes, MOHAA, or any other "game of the week" and run it.

NVIDIA is the way to go with Linux. They actually have a proffesional "paid" staff developing drivers. And they earn my allegiance for that.

If you lack patience, avoid MDK (or any other *nux distro). If you have just a little tweaking time, jump in. The water's great.

DW