The Simpsons "Springfield" public beta map

furfurdemon666

The Simpsons "Springfield" public beta map for Enemy Territory - released!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now before I post links to the information on where to d/l this map, I have some questions:

1) Have you played this map yet? If so, how do you like it?

2) How well does this map perform on your system?

3) How well does this map perform on-line with other players?

Many of us have been waiting for this map to be released since.. I don't know.. the beginning of this year or around the end of last year.. and while this is only a public beta at least it's something!! :) I think it's wicked cool! :) I'm not the author of this map nor did I have anything to do with making it but I think it's awesome so I'd like to discuss it here.

Okay now here are the links:

Announcement thread on the Splashdamage.com forums

Other announcement thread from the large discussion on this map.

Map author's homepage (download page) (direct file download)

** Be sure to read the readme file included in the RAR download file before trying this out.

Here's an important part from the readme for those who are too lazy to read it:

"This map needs more resources than the original Enemy Territory maps. So you have to give the game more RAM. Otherwise you get the "hunc_allocate failed at xxxxx" error. So start the game, open the console" "type "/set com_hunkmegs 90" and press enter. After restarting the game and it should work. If you still get the error, try higher numbers than "90". (quote taken from the README file by Maggumaster included with the public beta map)

Check out these screenshots:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I don't know who took those screenshots but I'm going to take some myself and post links to them soon so even those who may not play Enemy Territory may be inspired to install it. :) Edit: and of course once you extract the .rar archive you should copy the .pk3 file to your etwolf/etmain/ directory for the map (for it to load) when you host a game and select the map to try it yourself in single player mode or if you notice someone else online running it and join their game.