sound do not work properly

maleck

HI.

Mandrake puts alsa driver as default for all via82xx sound chips. for the via8237 it makes a beeeeeeeep all the time.

I read in other forum that you can solve this problem with

modprobe pcspkr

I haven't checked it becouse that module is only in kernel 2.6.3 that comes with mandrake 10.

I have to degrade my system to kernel 2.4.x (that came with mandrake 10) becouse of my modem ( softmodem ), wich use a intel537ep chip and I wasn't alble to install teh driver in 2.6 kernel. So I installed it in 2.4

For the sound problem I have to use the alternative kernel module via82xxx_audio that come with mandrake ( this do no beeeep ). I have found this problems:

1) this drivers do not let me record music frome the input line of the sound card.

2) in games the sound is accelerated, I mean the speeches sound fast (like when you are

recording a tape and select double speed in the stereo)

It happends in the tenis game (cannon smash?), It crash scummvm and clanbomber do

not even start.

I also have downloaded the official drivers frome viarena, they also make beeeeep

So I need help to do any of the following things:

1) configure sound module to not beeeeeep, and be able to use official drivers to

record music

2) Install intel537ep in kernel 2.6 (then I can check if the module pcspkr works)

3) install pcspkr in kernel 2.4 and try it

Can you help me?

thanks a lot.

In order to give us a better visibility of your problem, be sure that you are running a mixer program (aumix, kmix, gmix, xmix, alsamixer, ...) and the sound settings are not set to zero. If that does not solve your sound problems, report the output of these commands, so that someone here can help you out (I'm definitely trying to learn hardware stuff with linux.These commands below were just copied and pasted from another site, but maybe helps one of our Gurus)

cat /proc/pci
cat /etc/modules.conf
cat /proc/modules
ls -L -l /dev/dsp*

For your information:

cat /proc/pci

This commands lists all PCI (and AGP) devices/cards but not ISA/PnP devices/cards.

cat /etc/modules.conf

This command shows what kernel modules/drivers the system has been configured to use for specific devices.[/code]

cat /proc/modules
This command shows which kernel modules/drivers the system has actually loaded.

ls -L -l /dev/dsp*
This simply shows if the sound device file /dev/dsp (and similar device files) have been created.

Hope it helps.. :help:

Edited by william

Hi.

Sorry, I couldn't answer early becouse I have been toooooo busy.

This weekend I have been plaing with my linux OS searching for a solution.

And I am not so shure what of all that I have done has solved my problem, but it is that I have done. May be useful for another user:

First, I was wrong in my motherboard reference (I was at work when I wrote that)

My motherboard is MSI KT6 DELTA

it uses a via chip vt8237 (from the motherboard manual)

Mandrake 'thinks' it is a vt8233 sound card and puts alsa drivers via82xx

It make a beeeeep all the time.

MY SOLUTION

I disconnected the speakers. (if you have power button it can work too)

After tring to deactivate the six channel output (that i have read in other forum was the source of the problem), I found (by casuality) the command

alsaconf

you have to be root to use it.

so just run alsaconf and select the sound card (it still saying is a vt8233), and make the automatic configuration.

It is automagic, it works pretty good.

Now all the games work perfect.

So the problem is 'solve'.

I seid 'solve' becouse kmix still not working when you want to change the volume.

However, if your speaker has volume control (mine not have) you will not have problems.

So. Now i use multimedia ( also work with the altenatives drivers via82cxxx_audio, but it fails in games), play games, and I have tested the sound recorder too. IT WORKS for both the mic and the 'in' line.

If you have one of this motherboards, the problem is solve.

NOTE: this is what alsaconf have done in /etc/modeules.conf

alias /dev/sound  sound-slot-0

alias /dev/audio/  /dev/sound

alias /dev/mixer  /dev/sound

alias /dev/dsp    /dev/sound

alias /dev/midi    /dev/sound

alias /dev/nvidia*  nvidia

above snd-via82xx snd-pcm-oss

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.2 ---

alias char-major-116 snd

alias char-major-14 soundcore