Debian apt-get dist-upgrade errors

This weekend I installed Knoppix 3.4 to my hardrive as a stepping stone to installing Debian. It all went smoothly, once that is, I figured out that it was no longer knx-hdinstall but knx2hd.

I then edited the /etc/apt/sources.list so it was looking to sid mirrors. I then did apt-get clean and apt-get update, all without a problem.

I then did apt-get dist-upgrade which is where it all fell apart on me. On doing the apt-get dist-upgrade I got the following:

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

testdisk: Depends: libntfs5 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not installed

E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

I do apt-get -f install I get the following:

Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb) ...

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb (--unpack):

trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogs

dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Does anyone have an idea as to what I can do to fix this so I can do the dist-upgrade?

install debian? Seriously, someone tried this a short time back and couldn't get it to work either. It's like installing PCLOS to hd and installing/pointing urpmi to mandrake mirrors. What's the point? Easy? Deb is not that hard to install. If you can't hang with the install you probably won't have much a chance maintaining the install. JMO. :D

install debian? Seriously, someone tried this a short time back and couldn't get it to work either. It's like installing PCLOS to hd and installing/pointing urpmi to mandrake mirrors. What's the point? Easy? Deb is not that hard to install. If you can't hang with the install you probably won't have much a chance maintaining the install. JMO. :D

Well thats helpful. Not. :screwy:

Edited by Ronin

Ronin, what bvc means (I think) is if your aim is to install Debian then install it via Debian.

I understand your wish to use knoppix but as bvc is saying the netinstall debian is much easier now !

However if you like the knoppix way... then kanotix is IMHO the way to go. Knoppix is designed as a live CD with the installer just an afterthought... (well Fabian wriote it seperately)

Its very clever and all but its starting from a liveCD...

kanotix is knoppix reengineered to make the hd install pure debian without the hangovers of knoppix. Its still only a 2.4 kernel but other than that ...

• 2 weeks later...

As all the debian users say. Knoppix is not debian, its debian based. It has enough differences and variations now to cause some trouble when doing a HD install.

Maybe try the new debian installer?

You can install sid (unstable) or sarge (testing) from scratch and you are much less likely to have any problems

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

iphitus

I had the same problem as the original (first) post. The error and symptoms are exactly the same. How can one solve this problem?

I gave up mucking about what used to be the recommended way to install Debian here and went and got the Sarge Beta 4 installer.

It's not quite as easy on the head as Mandrakes but much easier then the normal archaic Debian installer.

• 1 month later...
Guest tech tyler

I'd sooner install windows 3.1 then install debian frow 3.0 stable. What a joke. If any operating system isn't smart enough to dump a user into at least a graphical shell...

To install any package with knoppix flawlessly... Note the problem package.

go into /var/cache/apt/archives

and use dpkg -i --force-overwrite (name)

Works for me. Knoppix all the way.

Well then, you can do that. Debian never said it was for everyone, and it is certainly not a "beginner's" OS.

I don't know of anybody here or elsewhere who suggests installing debian stable, except for use as a server box, or on an older machine. Check the debian users mailing list.

Stable is too old, and not able to support newer hardware. But, once it is installed and booted you WILL be dropped into a shell.

If your knoppix works fine, that's great, but most people I have seen are having the exact same problems as the thread starter.

I went through it as well, and have learned to use the debian installer to install testing on my machine, and can say that the ease of installing and maintaining packages is unbeatable. There is no rpm hell here.

To each his own.

I'm gonna try debian soon.

I'm sure that post abt Debian Not so hard after all will help me alot.

I'm actually downloading the 1st cd via jigdo. Which is a very clever program btw.

Best of Luck,

I would just try a flat debian install on Sarge. Sid might have more bugs.

• 5 weeks later...
I'd sooner install windows 3.1 then install debian frow 3.0 stable. What a joke. If any operating system isn't smart enough to dump a user into at least a graphical shell...

To install any package with knoppix flawlessly... Note the problem package.

go into  /var/cache/apt/archives

and use dpkg -i --force-overwrite (name)

Works for me. Knoppix all the way.

It's not about Debian being "smart" at all. You obviously miss the point of it all.

Well then, you can do that. Debian never said it was for everyone, and it is certainly not a "beginner's" OS.

I don't know of anybody here or elsewhere who suggests installing debian stable, except for use as a server box, or on an older machine. Check the debian users mailing list.

Stable is too old, and not able to support newer hardware. But, once it is installed and booted you WILL be dropped into a shell.

If your knoppix works fine, that's great, but most people I have seen are having the exact same problems as the thread starter.

I went through it as well, and have learned to use the debian installer to install testing on my machine, and can say that the ease of installing and maintaining packages is unbeatable. There is no rpm hell here.

To each his own.

I do recommend starting with Stable. Why? Because it's stable. It's been tested. When I was starting out with Debian, I tried all sorts of CDs, and they all had issues except for the official Stable images. If these issues were fixed, then that's great. Progeny had a project going where they dropped the Red Hat installer overtop of the Debian tools, and it seemed alright. I like where Debian is at right now, but I also don't object to these sorts of things being around to hold people's hands. But then again, that's why we have distros like Knoppix and Linspire.

I don't recommend running it, only using it as a base to install. It's just because of my personal experience, that's all. Hey, whatever works. :)

To clarify this, I *do* recommend it for production servers.

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman]