[SHOUT]Anybody experienced in X-sessioning?[/SHOUT]

qeldroma

I got a BIG problem:

I am administrering a small biz with a terminal X-net. Every three to 10 days, the server freezes or does not accept any further logins.

Therefor there are only four clients, this is strange.

I think, that the server keeps sessions alive, so no more highports are available at a time, but i am not sure.

Does somebody know how to look into the session management to find the error?

Sorry, not the answer.

I had a problem yesterday, and I'd like to have your point of view: is it the same problem as yours?

My wife started the main PC (and GDM server) at about 8PM. At about 10PM, I started the laptop as a X client to the main PC's GDM (XDMCP). Usually, no problem with that (all in the same day). But this time, I wanted my wife to proof-read a document I just had printed to a file, so I did

gv -display server:0 myfile.ps

. While my wife read the document, I got disconnected (the remote window on the server remained opened), and went back to main PC's GDM login screen on the laptop. I looked at X's standard output, and saw something like: "too many keep-alive transmissions". I logged in again.

Minutes after I logged in again, my wife closed my gv window on her screen, and resumed playing cards (aisleriot). Then suddenly (after some minutes playing again), her screen seemed to freeze, but mine (on laptop) was still perfect. I finished writing my document (so obviously main PC was still acting as server OK), and had to sudo /sbin/halt to remotely halt main PC (and I immediately did "Close session" on laptop), because the PC's keyboard didn't respond anymore (even NumLock and CapsLock did not alter the little green keyboard lights).

Furthermore, when PC was halted, my Gnome background was still displayed on laptop. I had to CtrlAltBackspace to exit and cleanly halt the laptop.

What do you think?

Yves.