Childsplay not starting

sitor

Hello,

As I'm trying to get also my kids using Linux more and more, I have created an account for them where they can do what they want. I installed them some games so they can play with them.

However I read about Childsplay which would be a good packages of games for the kids. I already installed GCompris, whioh is OK, but not that attractive. Childsplay is supposed to be better in that respect.

However when I install the Mandrake rpm, it installs alright, but it just does not run. When I try to launch the program, I get an item on the panel that says

Starting Childsplay

and a sand thing to show it is busy. However it then just disappears without doing anything. I tried to install an older package that was build for 9.2 (on my 10.0 OE box), it installs as well, and launching give the image of a cow and then all of a sudden nothing anymore.

I think this might really help win my kids for the Linux camp (or at least give them the feeling that I'm not so crazy wanting to use Linux), so I really would like to get this working.

Anyone an idea how to get this running?

Thanks in advance,

Sitor

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hi I got a similar problem with the same program I tried to get around to see some documentation but unfortunately I was able to find out nothing. In my case using gcompris 2 and mandrake 9.1 the program starts but after that I cannot run the single games.

If I'll be able to find some solution I'll post a message here, please the same make you in case you can solve the problem.

Best regards

Fabio Marca

• 5 months later...

I found out about Childsplay through Linux Format this month and checked to see if it was in 10.0, and yeas, it was! (Although a little behind the curve as it is version 0.69)

However, I got the same problem as the previous poster, or something very similar.

So, I tracked down the link on the menu and started /usr/bin/childsplay from a console. Many error messages appeared, basically saying that it's looking for stuff in /usr/local/...etc when it's actually installed in /usr/... instead.

Obviously, this fails!

I had a quick look at the main python script, and it looks like it's getting this path from a variable called "LIBDIR" (if I remember correctly - I'm not at my linux box at the moment), but I can't see where it's getting set up.

Having got all the dependencies installed, I tried upgrading to version 0.80, from the official website, but with no success either - same problem.

Has anyone actually installed this correctly and had it work?

Yes it seems to be a Mandrake problem I installed it to test it. (childsplay-0.72-1mdk.noarch.rpm). It starts ok, I get I nice cow and some mooing, the program starts but as soon as I click on something it crashes with a python error)

The python version coming with Mandrake is not the one everyone else is using. :( I don't know what they did with it but I have problems with some of the python programs I use (freevo, bittornado).

Let's hope they fix it soon