New Motherbard Breaks Radeon 9800 OpenGL

vashfish

I had an old PIII 600 with an intel chipset and 2x AGP. The proprietary fglrx driver from ATI worked perfectly with MDK 10.0 and kernel 2.6.3-7mdk (I was able to play Tux Racer quite smoothly). Then I upgraded my computer to an Athlon XP 2600+ with an nForce2 chipset and 8x AGP and OpenGL stopped working.

After getting a new hard drive, I decided to do a fresh install of MDK to see if that would fix it. It didn't. The installation from the RPM completes successfully with no error messages. Then I run fglrxconfig, and it also works fine. Then I reboot, and I could tell the driver changed because the visual area of the screen moved to the left (i also did an lsmod for all you sticklers :) ).

Anyway, I tried one of the GL screensavers (euphoria) and it went about 1 frame every 1.5 seconds...

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling it, I tried manually building it, I made absolute certain that my kernel source's .config matched my actual configuration. I even tried compiling DRI myself, all to no avail.

:help:

Looks like you may need to either replace the mobo with a Via chipset mobo, OR, replace the video card with an nVidia. nVidia has better OpenGL support, anyways. ATI is more geared towards DirectX.

Guest jamesarcher

its because 3D is not supported in mandrake 10.0 with a 9600, 9700, or 9800 series card and the current ATi drivers are incompatible with the kernel. Looks like your'll have to wait a bit for them to release a new driver :( (i have a 9600 pro and have the same prob so for the mo ive stuck my old 9200se 128mb and i have 3D)

Thats waaaaaay to extreme... i dont think the distribution is not supporting those cards... its really hard to believe...

Anyway, the best solution (at least a "posible" contrary to replacing the card!) is to do this:

First, What kernel are you running? the last official? if not, upgrade to it or compile your own.

Second, Xfree or Xorg? Do you added the corresponding lines to the config files (/etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) after installing the drivers??

Third, what are the ATI drivers version you are using?

Regards!

First of all, let me say that there is something seriously wrong with my motherboard, and I'm waiting for a replacement (it crashed 3 different hard drives, one of them so badly that other computers won't even recognize it anymore).

Anyway, I was using the 2.6 kernel that came with 10.0 Official. I know the ATI drivers were designed for 2.4 but, as I mentioned, they worked fine before I changed motherboards (maybe the replacement will work better). I don't want to use 2.4 because I can't stand its mouse driver. It gets very choppy even when all that's going on in the background is an instance of make.

As far as your second question, the ATI drivers come with fglrxconfig which is just like the text mode X configurator plus a bunch of Radeon-specific options. In other words, it automatically generates /etc/XF86Config-4.

Finally, the ATI drivers are the most recent ones from their website (as of 6/15, anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

I got some good news... When I bought the mobo, it said "No refunds available" meaning if anything was wrong, I could only send it in for a replacement. I wished I could get a refund so I could buy a new one. When I sent it in, they were out of stock so they gave me a refund anyway! Now I'm getting an Asus board with a Via chipset. It should be here in a couple of days. I'm also waiting for a new thermal pad since the heat sink came off my processor when I was taking it off the mobo.

• 2 weeks later...