Suggestions for a new laptop ?

Hi everybody, I'm about to buy a new laptop, as my Toshiba motherboard is fried. Can anybody suggest a Mandrake friendly machine, recent enough to be available in shops ?

From what I know, the most difficult piece of hardware is the modem; I've never managed to have it working under linux in my old laptop. Does anybody know of a laptop with a modem which will work under Mandrake ?

Thanks, Cocco

Thanks! but I had already perused that site. I seems that people decide to post there only when at last their installation is perfect. Which is good, but it takes some time, and in the meanwhile, manufacturers issue new products. I have been looking for a Sony Vaio I intended to buy, but only older models are reported there, no more available in shops.

I was sort of hoping that someone here at Mandrakeusers had, by chance, just bought a laptop, installed with success, and was willing to share her/his luck.

If anyone is in such a situation, please post! I don't expect a full report like "linux-on-laptops", only a "buy this one, it works OK for me"

Thanks anyway, Cocco

Just your luck!

I got a new HP ZD7010 this past weekend and have installed Mandrake 10 OE. It was actually the easiest install of Mandrake I've ever done. (I've gone through at least 10 installs in the last 6 months on various other computers) The only issue I really incurred during this install was with the screen resolution, as this laptop has a 17inch widescreen monitor, so I actually had to go into the XF86Config-4 file to add a resolution of 1440x900. I also needed the NVIDIA kernel patch, but that was automatically taken care of during install.

I however am not using the conventional modem, as I have a cable connection and would rather shoot myself then deal with dialup internet :D So I can't help you there.

I've been up and running for 4 days now, and have not run into any problems. ( Knock on wood :P )

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to share my experiences.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Juli-tired.of.windows-
Just your luck!

I got a new HP ZD7010 this past weekend and have installed Mandrake 10 OE. It was actually the easiest install of Mandrake I've ever done. (I've gone through at least 10 installs in the last 6 months on various other computers) The only issue I really incurred during this install was with the screen resolution, as this laptop has a 17inch widescreen monitor, so I actually had to go into the XF86Config-4 file to add a resolution of 1440x900. I also needed the NVIDIA kernel patch, but that was automatically taken care of during install.

I however am not using the conventional modem, as I have a cable connection and would rather shoot myself then deal with dialup internet :D So I can't help you there.

I've been up and running for 4 days now, and have not run into any problems. ( Knock on wood :P )

Hi !!

Im new to Linux and Im having a hard time intalling my zd7010 wireless adapt and my screen. Would you be so kind of sharing your XF86Config and how you configured your Broadcom ?

Just your luck!

Hi !!

Im new to Linux and Im having a hard time intalling my zd7010 wireless adapt and my screen. Would you be so kind of sharing your XF86Config and how you configured your Broadcom ?

If you guys would like to discuss this, please either take it into a new thread or discuss it amongst yourselves in PM. We like to keep threads to one topic, that is the topic started by the first post. Thanks!