Mandrake 10.0 kinda freezes

Guest Rockman

Guest Rockman

Hello, i have this problem.

Just upgraded to mdk 10.0 which is working fine... until it freezes a bit: i can still work, but if i do a 'ps aux', 'lsof', 'nmap', 'top' and any listing process tool, the list displays incomplete, and i can't get back to prompt unless i close the terminal window and open another one; ctrl-c doesnt work when the incomplete list is displayed . This happens when i'm online or offline. and is annoying me because when this happens, i can't reboot or shutdown. It stays forever after 'stoping display manager' i've noticed that the second process, right after display manager at shuting down stage is devfsd. What i do is power off my pc and the next time i boot into mdk it says it was badly unmounted. I reckon i can damage the system this way, because it happens almost on a daily basis.

Any suggestions before i wipe out the hd and reinstall?

Thanks in advance

Have seen something similar a long time ago - think it something to do with a cd drive or hard drive , but cannot remember the exact details.

If you press <control, alt, F12> at the same time you might get a clue (does MDK10 log events here as standard? I upgraded, so am not sure) - I certainly remember a whole list of repetative disk read failures logged here. Alternatively, check the logs for any odd behaviour under /var/log

Please also clarify: when you issue a command, does your PC freeze permanently, or for a period, then return to normal?

Also, do you get the same problem logged in at a terminal screen, i.e. press <control, alt, F1>, log in and issue a command.

Chris

Guest Rockman

Thanks for your replies :)

Upgrading to a 2.6.x kernel is not an option for me nowadays, since i have a winmodem and there's no driver support for it yet, i can only use 2.4 kernel series. Currently i have 2.4.25-2mdk

I have the same issue changing to another terminal session with ctrl-alt-F1. I've also checked /var/log and there's nothing funny i can use. I'll try with ctr-alt-F12 when i get home, and i'll reply back

Regards.

Guest Rockman

It was a mplayer issue, which was causing this freezing stuff. when mplayer crashed, it crashed also terminal windows and the rebooting process. I uninstalled mplayer's rpms and reinstalled it, this time from source and voilá! problem solved.

Thanks for your replies.

This for anyone not just you rockman.

If your running a duel boot machine you can goto any or the update mirrors and download the whole list of updates while in M$windows.

You can then place them on a shared hard drive partition or place them on a cd. Or several cd's. Update your sources to include these new cd's or partitions and you can then at least get around a winmodem that isn't working for you yet.

Use any of the mirrors listed here to get the latest updates at a fairly good speed.http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php