PS/2 mouse frozen on bootup

Guest kulgan17

Guest kulgan17

I have Mandrake 10 Installed. I have a Logitech optical mouse with a scroll wheel. It is connected to the Ps2 port via a use to ps2 converter. When i boot the system normally the mouse pointer is in the middle of the screen and it is frozen.

If i unplug the mouse from the ps2 port, boot the system and the plug the mouse back in it woks fine. Does any one know why this is and how i can fix it so i don't have to up plug the mouse all the time? Thanks

Welcome to the club!!

Look at my posting on this same issue - different mouse - same problem.

You will see that it doesn't appear to be anything to do with the XF86Config-4 file. I have the same problem and so far no-one has found anything wrong with the config files.

Did you clean install 10.0 ? Mine was an update from 9.2

That leaves me an option on my lilo menu to boot "old_linux" which uses the older kernel 2.4.x from 9.2 (and 9.2 splash-screen during boot, and I know what else from 9.2). Under that option, my mouse works fine.

This leads me to suspect that there is some problem with kernel 2.6 in initialising some mice. There is a choice of using a 2.4.x kernel under mandrake 10.0. Have a look to see if you have more than the one kernel installed. If so try modifying lilo/grub to give you the option of booting with the other kernel and see if it cures the problem.

Guest kulgan17

Here is the mouse section.

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

I did a clean install and only have 2.6 installed. I will have to try 2.4. thanks