Root login

KellyK

I had to reboot my server and now it will no longer allow me to log into the GUI as root user. Before the reboot I could type root as the user and now it does not allow for any typing for user name. I am sure this is a security problem I just have no idea how to correct it.

Any help?

Kelly

It's a bad idea to log in as root - better to su at a command prompt.

However (assuming you use KDE), if you log in as a normal user, go to "start"->system->configuration->configure your desktop (launches the KDE control center) and choose the system->Login manager you can set it up from there.

Chris

If you open a console and type su (lower case) you will be prompted for the root password. Then all commands typed in that console are run as the root user. Of course, you need to know what those commands are called...

The other way is if you choose an option from the menu that needs root privilages, like install new software, or running mcc (mandrake controle centre) then you will be prompted for the password with a graphical dialogue box.

The KDE control centre has a button at the bottom for gaining root if you need to alter anything, in this case the login manager.

Again - in Linux (and any other OS for that matter) it is generally a bad idea to log in fully as root (administrator) - you can do a lot of damage...

Chris

Points well taken guys. I am going to try your suggestions. If there is a way to make changes without root login I am all for it. Like I said I do not know all the commands yet. Even VI hates me.

By the way know of a good site for VI commands?

Thanks

Kelly

you can if you wish run a gui editor as root, at the root prompt run 'kate' if you use KDE or 'gedit' if you use gnome.

I'd suggest you install a simpler command line editor though, i think if you type 'urpmi nano' as root, you'll install nano, which is a hell of a lot easier to use than vi. i love nano, i used to think the console was evil before nano ;-)

yep we debate the +/-'s of root login's in a GUI but the bottom line is (like so much in linux) if you cant work out how to do it you probasbly shouldn't...

that is someone really experienced or doesnt care about their system because it has no data of value might do it but they either realise the dangers or it doesnt matter!

Mandrake have made a lot of effort as have KDE desktop to make it possible to log in as a mortal and then execute the needed commands as root.

gedit/kate/kedit etc. are GUI editors... and although the might possibly fubar the occaisional file they are pretty much OK 99% of the time.

(this is an issue with hidden charecters etc. ) I often use kedit, becuase you can cut/paste large amounts etc.

mostly I use a console with su - (as someone said above) and if you use a & after a command then it backgrounds the task meaning it frees up the command line

if you forget and its taken the console you can

CTRL Z then

bg

this will bg the last task!

Its safer to just keep the single root window or one with tabs ... everyone makes mistakes from time to time so this prevents accidental removing your /etc directory etc. (LOL)

vi is a pig but the original was a wild boar.... I learned it on Solaris without improvements like being able to use arrow keys (HJKL) = left/up/down/right its a realpig but its available almost EVERYWHERE in *nix and this makes it worth persisting, with practice it becomes second nature...

when I use a French keyboard i get completely screwed becuase all the letters and even the ! are in different places and with the opposite shift.